Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rectangular Loop and Torque

1. Oct 12, 2010 #1
    A rectanglular loop consists of 5 turns of wire carrying a current of 2.8 A. The loop is in the x-y plane, and the direction of flow of the current is shown in the figure. The loop has dimensions a = 4 cm and b = 5 cm. Consider a uniform magnetic field of strength 3.8 × 10-4 T in x, y, or z directions.

I need to find the:
    -Fa on x-axis
    -Fb on y-axis
    -Fa on z-axis
    -Fb on z-axis

For the X-axis, I found that torque is 1.064e-5 and Fb=0
    For the y-axis, I found the torque is 1.064e-5 and Fa=0
    I also found that the torque for z-axis is 0.

But, how do I find the other Fa and Fb?
    I am given: F=I*L*B sin(theta)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2010 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi ahazen,

By Fa, I assume you mean the magnitude of the magnetic force on side a due to the magnetic field, right? If so, then you have the formula; if you plug in your values (all you have to determine here is what theta is) what do you get?

4. Oct 14, 2010 #3
    yes, thats correct:) I'm still trying to work on the problem. Something is not working right when I plug the values in.

5. Oct 14, 2010 #4

alphysicist

Homework Helper

You seem to have the right formula; if you post the values you are plugging in and the result you get, I or someone else can try to verify it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook