1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rectangular membrane with a hole

1. May 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm trying to solve the vibrations of a rectangular membrane with a rectangular hole inside. Both the inner and outer edges are fixed. I know i have to use the wave equation, but how do i write the boundary conditions in orden to incluye the hole? Any ideas?

F.Y.I. I already know how to solve a rectangular membrane, the thing is that i don't know how to include the hole

2. Relevant equations

[tex] \frac{d^2u}{dt^2} = c^2 \nabla^2 u [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that some of the boundary conditions must be

u(0,y,t)=u(x,0,t)=u(a,y,t)=u(x,b,t)=0

With a the lenght of the membrane and b it's width. It should also contain a hole inside of lenght c and width d. I don't know what to do from here. My guess is that i have to put some kind of boundary conditions. Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi VktGSWelcome to PF! :smile:

Why not put the origin at the centre? :wink:

4. May 21, 2012 #3
    If the inner edges of the hole are also fixed, then you should just use the Dirichlet boundary conditions (that is, u=0 at the boundary)

5. May 22, 2012 #4
    Thanks for the centre idea, tiny-tim. Very useful.

And, F.Y.I. clamtox, i know what Dirichlet boundary conditions are, just didn't know how to express them in this problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook