Rectangular membrane with a hole

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of solving the vibrations of a rectangular membrane with a rectangular hole inside, with both inner and outer edges fixed. The wave equation is identified as the appropriate equation to use, and the question of how to write the boundary conditions to include the hole is raised. The attempt at a solution suggests using the Dirichlet boundary conditions by placing the origin at the center and setting u=0 at the boundary. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to use the center as the origin and a confirmation of knowledge on Dirichlet boundary conditions.
VktGS

Homework Statement

I'm trying to solve the vibrations of a rectangular membrane with a rectangular hole inside. Both the inner and outer edges are fixed. I know i have to use the wave equation, but how do i write the boundary conditions in orden to incluye the hole? Any ideas?

F.Y.I. I already know how to solve a rectangular membrane, the thing is that i don't know how to include the hole

Homework Equations

[tex] \frac{d^2u}{dt^2} = c^2 \nabla^2 u [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that some of the boundary conditions must be

u(0,y,t)=u(x,0,t)=u(a,y,t)=u(x,b,t)=0

With a the length of the membrane and b it's width. It should also contain a hole inside of length c and width d. I don't know what to do from here. My guess is that i have to put some kind of boundary conditions. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi VktGSWelcome to PF! :smile:

Why not put the origin at the centre? :wink:

If the inner edges of the hole are also fixed, then you should just use the Dirichlet boundary conditions (that is, u=0 at the boundary)

Thanks for the centre idea, tiny-tim. Very useful.

And, F.Y.I. clamtox, i know what Dirichlet boundary conditions are, just didn't know how to express them in this problem.

Hello, it seems like you are on the right track with your boundary conditions for the rectangular membrane with a hole. To include the hole in your solution, you will need to add additional boundary conditions that describe the behavior of the membrane at the edges of the hole. These conditions will depend on the shape and size of the hole, as well as the material properties of the membrane.

One approach you can take is to divide the membrane into smaller rectangular sections, including the hole, and treat each section separately. This will allow you to write specific boundary conditions for each section, taking into account the effects of the hole on the surrounding membrane.

Another approach is to use a mathematical technique called separation of variables, which allows you to solve the wave equation for different regions of the membrane separately. This can be a more complex method, but it may provide a more accurate solution for the membrane with a hole.

I would also recommend consulting with a textbook or a colleague who has experience with solving similar problems to gain a better understanding of the techniques and methods used for this type of problem. Good luck with your solution!

1. What is a rectangular membrane with a hole?

A rectangular membrane with a hole is a physical structure or material that has a rectangular shape with a circular or oval-shaped hole in the center. It is commonly used in engineering and physics experiments to study the behavior of materials under stress.

2. How is the behavior of a rectangular membrane with a hole studied?

The behavior of a rectangular membrane with a hole is studied by applying external forces or pressure to the membrane and observing how it deforms or reacts. This can be done through various experiments and simulations using specialized equipment and techniques.

3. What are some real-world applications of a rectangular membrane with a hole?

Rectangular membranes with holes are commonly used in the design and testing of structures such as bridges, buildings, and airplane wings. They can also be used in the development of new materials for medical implants, protective gear, and other industrial applications where stress and strain play a significant role.

4. How does the size and shape of the hole affect the behavior of the rectangular membrane?

The size and shape of the hole can greatly impact the behavior of a rectangular membrane. Smaller holes tend to cause more localized stress and deformation, while larger holes can lead to overall structural failure. The shape of the hole can also affect the distribution of stress and strain on the membrane.

5. What are some factors that can affect the behavior of a rectangular membrane with a hole?

The behavior of a rectangular membrane with a hole can be influenced by various factors such as the type and properties of the material, the size and shape of the hole, the application of external forces or pressure, and the environmental conditions. The thickness and boundary conditions of the membrane can also play a role in its behavior.