1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rectangular scalar components

1. Oct 11, 2006 #1
    Hey,

In the question that I'm working on it says to resolve v1 and v2 into rectangular scalar components but i have no idea what a rectangular scalar component is and i can't find it in my text book. if anyone could tell me what they are that would be very helpful!

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2006 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Say you have a vector [itex]\vec{v}[/itex]. It can be written as [itex]\vec{v}=(v_x,v_y)[/itex] or, using the unit vectors in the directions of the x-axis and y-axis, [itex]\hat{x}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{y}[/itex] (sometimes also noted [itex]\vec{i}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{j}[/itex]) as [itex]\vec{v}=v_x\hat{x}+v_y\hat{y}[/itex].

In either case, we call [itex]v_x[/itex] and [itex]v_y[/itex] the recatangular scalar components of [itex]\vec{v}[/itex].

Is it clear?

4. Oct 11, 2006 #3
    Yes, now it is clear, thank you for your help, i really appreciate it :)

5. Oct 11, 2006 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A rectangular scalar components of a vector in a 2D plane are the magnitude of the projection of the vector onto the x or y axis, respectively. Given a vector V that has a magnitude of V and that makes an angle [tex]\theta[/tex] with the x axis, then the scalar component of the vector along the x axis is [tex] Vcos\theta[/tex], and the scalar component of the vector along the y axis is [tex] Vsin\theta[/tex].

6. Oct 11, 2006 #5
    okay, thanks that helps a lot for trying to find the x and y components. thank you

7. Oct 11, 2006 #6
    z-axis components

Hey, I'm just wondering if i need to find scalar components for a magnitude on the z-axis, do i go about the same way i would with regual x,y compenents, or is there something else that i need to do??

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?