Rectangular scalar components

• Thread starter sunbunny
  • Start date
Hey,

In the question that I'm working on it says to resolve v1 and v2 into rectangular scalar components but i have no idea what a rectangular scalar component is and i can't find it in my text book. if anyone could tell me what they are that would be very helpful!

thanks

Answers and Replies

quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Say you have a vector [itex]\vec{v}[/itex]. It can be written as [itex]\vec{v}=(v_x,v_y)[/itex] or, using the unit vectors in the directions of the x-axis and y-axis, [itex]\hat{x}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{y}[/itex] (sometimes also noted [itex]\vec{i}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{j}[/itex]) as [itex]\vec{v}=v_x\hat{x}+v_y\hat{y}[/itex].

In either case, we call [itex]v_x[/itex] and [itex]v_y[/itex] the recatangular scalar components of [itex]\vec{v}[/itex].

Is it clear?

Yes, now it is clear, thank you for your help, i really appreciate it :)

PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
sunbunny said:
Hey,

In the question that I'm working on it says to resolve v1 and v2 into rectangular scalar components but i have no idea what a rectangular scalar component is and i can't find it in my text book. if anyone could tell me what they are that would be very helpful!

thanks
A rectangular scalar components of a vector in a 2D plane are the magnitude of the projection of the vector onto the x or y axis, respectively. Given a vector V that has a magnitude of V and that makes an angle [tex]\theta[/tex] with the x axis, then the scalar component of the vector along the x axis is [tex] Vcos\theta[/tex], and the scalar component of the vector along the y axis is [tex] Vsin\theta[/tex].

okay, thanks that helps a lot for trying to find the x and y components. thank you

z-axis components

Hey, I'm just wondering if i need to find scalar components for a magnitude on the z-axis, do i go about the same way i would with regual x,y compenents, or is there something else that i need to do??

Thanks!