Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Rectangular wave, extraction of ions from a stopping cell

Tags:
  1. Jul 25, 2017 #1
    Hello. I'm not sure if this question is to project-specific, but I will try to explain as best that I can.

I am working with a system such as this one, with only a few differences: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0168583X1400706X
    it is a cryogenic stopping cell. The part I am running simulations on is the RF carpet. The current carpet configuration uses a sinusoidal wave for the RF amplitude. I am running simulations on a carpet that would use a rectangular wave, with 4 electrodes. I can change the frequency of these electrodes.
    I set the phase shifts to 0, 180, 0, 180 over the electrodes. I was testing different phase shifts, and now I am testing this one.
    In principle, I test to see how many ions can get extracted from the system (transmission efficiency)
    When I test this rectangular wave with a frequency of 1MHz, it takes an RF Amplitude of 76V to get 100% transmission efficiency. When I test it with 3MHz, it only takes 14V to get 100% transmission efficiency.

What would explain why a higher frequency requires a lower voltage for ion extraction?
    I hope this was well explained. let me know if there are more explanations needed.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2017 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted