1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rectangular waveguide

1. Dec 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a rectangular, hollow, conductor. Something like this:

rectangular_waveguide_30.gif

The length in z direction should be infinite. The propagation of electromagnetic waves in the conductor are given via the equations:

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\Delta \vec{E} = \frac{1}{c^2} \frac{\partial^2 \vec{E}}{\partial t^2}[/itex]

[itex]\Delta \vec{B} = \frac{1}{c^2} \frac{\partial^2 \vec{B}}{\partial t^2}[/itex]

Question 1: Which boundary conditions follow for the E field? And what does that mean for the B field?

3. The attempt at a solution

Well. Since there are free charges in the conductor, the tangential component of the E field should be 0 (otherwise the charges would start to move). Which in return means the normal component of the B field must also be 0.

Is there more I could derive from this or is that it? My answer seems a bit too simplistic ...

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?