1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rectilinear Motion Help please

1. Oct 27, 2007 #1
    Hi, I recently stumbled across your forums whilst trying to find help for my homework. I have managed to do all the questions on the homework except these 2, and i cannot seem to get the right answers to them. This is because they both miss one piece of data and i would normally use the suvat equations to find the answer.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A body moving with uniform acceleration covers 64.4m in 7 seconds. And 110m in 10 seconds.

Find acceleration and initial velocity.

2. Relevant equations

Suvat / equations of motion

3. The attempt at a solution

(110 - 64.4 ) / (10- 3)

The only other thing i could think of would be adding them and trying to work it out.. but as i dont know the start velocity i cant. ( 174.4 / 17)

Question 2

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A body released from rest falls through 44.1m during the fifth second of its motion find the acceleration due to gravity.

u= 0, s(5) - s (4) = 44.1m

Sorry theres not much working out from me, Im just new to physics (started it about a month ago) and asides from filling in data into the suvat equations i really have no idea what im doing. could somebody point me in the right direction , thankyou

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

For both problems, the equation you need is:

d = v1*t + (1/2)at^2

for the first problem... plug in your 2 sets of values... d = 64.4 t=7 and d= 110 t= 10

2 equations.... 2 unknowns... you can solve both v1 and a.

For the second problem, again try to use

d = v1*t + (1/2)at^2

4. Oct 27, 2007 #3
    Is the equation not d= v*t - (1/2) at^2?

Because i used that and got 12.6 = 59.5a So a = 0.2 But the answer says a = 1.2

But thanks for your help, maybe i did it wrong ill try again

EDIT EDIT EDIT: WEWT. Ignore me i did a calculation wrong. :) Now all i gotta do is solve the second one

ty btw i didnt realise i could just turn it into simultaneous equations

Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?