How Do You Solve Rectilinear Motion Problems with Missing Data?

In summary, the body released from rest falls through 44.1m during the fifth second of its motion. Due to gravity, the body's acceleration is 1.2g.
Sebc
Hi, I recently stumbled across your forums whilst trying to find help for my homework. I have managed to do all the questions on the homework except these 2, and i cannot seem to get the right answers to them. This is because they both miss one piece of data and i would normally use the suvat equations to find the answer.

Homework Statement

A body moving with uniform acceleration covers 64.4m in 7 seconds. And 110m in 10 seconds.

Find acceleration and initial velocity.

Homework Equations

Suvat / equations of motion

The Attempt at a Solution

(110 - 64.4 ) / (10- 3)

The only other thing i could think of would be adding them and trying to work it out.. but as i don't know the start velocity i cant. ( 174.4 / 17)Question 2

Homework Statement

A body released from rest falls through 44.1m during the fifth second of its motion find the acceleration due to gravity.

u= 0, s(5) - s (4) = 44.1m

Sorry there's not much working out from me, I am just new to physics (started it about a month ago) and asides from filling in data into the suvat equations i really have no idea what I am doing. could somebody point me in the right direction , thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
For both problems, the equation you need is:

d = v1*t + (1/2)at^2

for the first problem... plug in your 2 sets of values... d = 64.4 t=7 and d= 110 t= 10

2 equations... 2 unknowns... you can solve both v1 and a.

For the second problem, again try to use

d = v1*t + (1/2)at^2

learningphysics said:
For both problems, the equation you need is:

d = v1*t + (1/2)at^2

for the first problem... plug in your 2 sets of values... d = 64.4 t=7 and d= 110 t= 10

2 equations... 2 unknowns... you can solve both v1 and a.

For the second problem, again try to use

d = v1*t + (1/2)at^2

Is the equation not d= v*t - (1/2) at^2?Because i used that and got 12.6 = 59.5a So a = 0.2 But the answer says a = 1.2

But thanks for your help, maybe i did it wrong ill try againEDIT EDIT EDIT: WEWT. Ignore me i did a calculation wrong. :) Now all i got to do is solve the second one

ty btw i didnt realize i could just turn it into simultaneous equations

Last edited:

What is rectilinear motion?

Rectilinear motion is a type of motion that occurs when an object moves in a straight line with a constant speed.

What are the basic equations for rectilinear motion?

The basic equations for rectilinear motion are:

• Displacement (d) = Initial velocity (v0) * Time (t) + 1/2 * Acceleration (a) * Time (t)2
  • Velocity (v) = Initial velocity (v0) + Acceleration (a) * Time (t)
  • Acceleration (a) = Change in velocity (v) / Time (t)

How is rectilinear motion different from curvilinear motion?

Rectilinear motion involves movement in a straight line, while curvilinear motion involves movement in a curved path. Additionally, in rectilinear motion, the velocity and acceleration are constant, while in curvilinear motion, they may vary.

What are some real-life examples of rectilinear motion?

Some real-life examples of rectilinear motion include a car driving on a straight road, a person walking in a straight line, and a train moving on a straight track.

How is rectilinear motion used in science and engineering?

Rectilinear motion is used in science and engineering to understand and analyze the movement of objects in a straight line. It is also used to design and optimize machines and structures that involve linear motion, such as elevators and roller coasters.