Calculating Total Time for an Inclined Plane Motion Problem

In summary, the total time for the block to return to the point of projection can be found by analyzing the system in two steps: first, determining the acceleration uphill using the given initial speed, inclination of the plane, and coefficient of sliding friction; and second, using the acceleration to find the time going up the incline and then down the incline. Kinematic equations will be helpful in this process.
anubis01

Homework Statement

A block of wood is projected up an inclined plane with initial speed v0. If the inclination of the plane is 300 and the coefficent of sliding friction uk=0.1, find the total time for the block to return to the point of projection.

Homework Equations

fA=ukN
N=mgcosθ

The Attempt at a Solution

To be honest I'm not sure where to start with this. I'm just asking for a bit of
guidance on how to start the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you set it up if there is no friction involved? Have you made a FBD?

I'm not sure about setting it up without involving friction but I have made a FBD diagram.

What can you tell about the initial conditions parallel to the incline?

Oh I solved the problem (a good nights sleep does wonders apparently), thank you for the help though.

Can you tell me how you did it? I am really stuck on this problem

The most important thing about the question is setting up the FBD once you get that the rest is simple. You need to analyze the system in two steps, the first one being up hill and the second downhill.

You should be able to first find the acceleration uphill, which can then be used to determine the time going up the incline , kinematic equations will be helpful in this regard. You can then use the information to find the time going down the incline.

Okay, I will give it a shot and if I still have troubles do you mind if I post back on here and you could help me out? Thanks!

What is rectilinear motion?

Rectilinear motion refers to the motion of an object in a straight line. This means that the path of the object does not curve or change direction.

What are the key concepts involved in solving a rectilinear motion problem?

The key concepts involved in solving a rectilinear motion problem are displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time. These quantities are used to describe the motion of an object.

What is the difference between speed and velocity in rectilinear motion?

Speed is a scalar quantity that describes the rate at which an object is moving. Velocity is a vector quantity that describes the speed and direction of an object's motion.

How can I determine the acceleration of an object in rectilinear motion?

To determine the acceleration of an object in rectilinear motion, you can use the formula a = (v2-v1)/t, where a is acceleration, v2 is the final velocity, v1 is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

What are some real-life examples of rectilinear motion?

Some real-life examples of rectilinear motion include a car driving on a straight road, a person walking in a straight line, and a rollercoaster moving along a straight track.