1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rectilinear motion

1. Mar 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A point Q in rectilinear motion passes through the origin at t=0, and from then until 5 seconds have passed, the acceleration of Q is 6 ft/s^2 to the right. Beginning at t=5 seconds, the acceleration of Q is 12t ft/s^2 to the left. If after 2 more seconds point Q is 13 feet to the right of the origin, what was the velocity of Q at t=0?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Assume right is positive and left is negative.

t=0 to t=5
    x''=6
    x'=6t+(V0)
    x=3t^2+(V0)t

From t=5 onwards
    x''=-12t
    x'=-6t^2+(V1)
    x=-2t^3+(V1)t+[75+5(V0)t] (parts in brackets [] obtained by using the x=3t^2+(V0)t equation setting t=5)

we are given 13=-2t^3+(V1)t+[75+5(V0)t] at t=7s (from beginning) or t=2s (considering the equation changes at t=5)

thus plugging in t=2 (since x''=-12t begins at t=5) get:

-46=2(V1)+10(V0)

Now need another equation to solve variables. Equating the equations x'=6t+(V0) (t=0 to t=5) and the equation x'=-6t^2+(V1) (t=5 onwards)

Thus plug in t=5 for x'=6t+(V0) and t=0 for x'=-6t^2+(V1) and then equate them to get

30+(V0)=V1

Solve and get V0 = -8.83 ft/s

Book says answer is 2ft/s to the right.

Something went terribly wrong...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi xzibition8612! :smile:

hmm :rolleyes: … this is exactly why you should never take short-cuts :redface:
    that 5(V0)t should be 5V0, shouldn't it? :wink:

in between those two paragraphs, you should have paused to state explicitly the final values of x and v, that you intend to use later​

4. Mar 20, 2012 #3
    Yuo're right. But then I get 2(30+V0)+5(V0)=-46

Hence V0 = -15 m/s

which is still wrong. No idea where i went wrong.

5. Mar 20, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi xzibition8612! :smile:

it's very difficult to check your work :redface:

(i don't see a 73 anywhere)

can you write it out in one continuous proof?​

(and please try using the X2 button just above the Reply box, instead of ^ :wink:)

6. Mar 21, 2012 #5
    tiny-tim did you get 2 ft/s as the correct answer? If you did, can you just show me how to do it? Because I'm afraid its very difficult to communicate online and if I see what you did then I can figure out where I went wrong thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook