What Is the Speed of the Elevator in a Rectilinear Pulley System?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two motors drawing a cord at a constant rate and determining the speed of the elevator. The equation of constraint used is 4Xe - Xb - Xc = constant, with Xe representing the distance from the roof of the shaft to the elevator and Xb and Xc representing the distances from the roof to arbitrary points on the cords. The solution involves expressing the lengths of the cords in terms of Xe and d, the distance between the middle fixed pulley and the pulley connected to neither the shaft nor the elevator.
crazyman27

Homework Statement

Prob.12-199.jpg

Both motors are drawing in the cord at a constant rate of 8 m/s. Determine the speed of the elevator.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

Using an equation of constraint I got 4Xe - Xb - Xc = constant (Xe being the distance from the roof of the shaft to the elevator, Xb being the distance from the roof of the shaft to an arbitrary point on the left-most cord, and Xc being the distance from the roof of the shaft to an arbitrary point on the right-most cord).

Differentiating this with respect to time gives 4Ve - Vb - Vc = 0 and subbing in 8m/s for Vb and Vc gives the speed of the elevator to be 4m/s. This isn't the solution however, not sure where I went wrong.

Any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you get this one: 4Xe - Xb - Xc = constant?
If I were you, I would express the lengths of the strings connected to B and C (there are discrete 2 strings if you look carefully) in terms of Xe and d, where d is the distance between the middle fixed pulley and the pulley which is connected to neither the shaft nor the elevator.

hikaru1221 said:
How do you get this one: 4Xe - Xb - Xc = constant?
If I were you, I would express the lengths of the strings connected to B and C (there are discrete 2 strings if you look carefully) in terms of Xe and d, where d is the distance between the middle fixed pulley and the pulley which is connected to neither the shaft nor the elevator.

Thanks hikaru1211. I figured it out, I wasn't interpreting the pulley system correctly.

1. What is a Rectilinear Pulley System?

A Rectilinear Pulley System is a mechanical system that involves multiple pulleys and ropes or cables to transmit motion or force in a straight line.

2. How does a Rectilinear Pulley System work?

A Rectilinear Pulley System works by using a series of pulleys and ropes or cables to distribute tension and motion evenly throughout the system. As one pulley moves, it causes all other pulleys to move in a synchronized manner.

3. What are the advantages of using a Rectilinear Pulley System?

The main advantage of a Rectilinear Pulley System is that it can transmit motion or force over a long distance with minimal effort. It also allows for precise control and distribution of force, making it useful in various applications such as lifting heavy objects or moving objects in a straight line.

4. What are some common applications of a Rectilinear Pulley System?

A Rectilinear Pulley System is commonly used in weightlifting equipment, elevators, and cranes. It is also used in manufacturing processes, such as in conveyor belts or assembly lines, to move products or materials along a straight path.

5. How do you calculate the mechanical advantage of a Rectilinear Pulley System?

The mechanical advantage of a Rectilinear Pulley System can be calculated by dividing the output force by the input force. The number of pulleys in the system also affects the mechanical advantage, with more pulleys resulting in a higher mechanical advantage.