Solving Recurrence Formula Homework w/ Integration by Parts

In summary, the conversation discusses the integral formula I(subscript n)=integral (from pi/2 to 0) [sin(x)]^n * [cos(x)]^2 and how to prove that I(subscript n) = [(n-1)/(n+2)] I(subscript (n-2)). The use of integration by parts is suggested, specifically differentiating twice and setting u= sin[sup]n(x) and dv= cos[sup]2(x)dx. It is also mentioned that finding v may be aided by the identity cos[sup]2(x)= (1/2)(1+ cos(2x)).
hechnal

Homework Statement

I(subscript n)=integral (from pi/2 to 0) [sin(x)]^n * [cos(x)]^2.

Show that I (subscript n) = [(n-1)/(n+2)] I(subscript (n-2))

I think ur meant to use integration by parts on it somewhere but i don't know wat to use it on.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since In-2 involves sinn-2[/sub] it seems clear to me that you want to reduce the the power on sinn(x) and you can do that by differentiating (twice). Try an integration by parts (twice) letting u= sinn(x) and dv= cos2(x)dx. (To find v, it might help to remember that cos2(x)= (1/2)(1+ cos(2x))

1. How do I solve a recurrence formula using integration by parts?

To solve a recurrence formula using integration by parts, you first need to identify the recurrence relation and the initial conditions. Then, you can use integration by parts to find a general solution for the recurrence formula. This involves integrating the recurrence relation and using the initial conditions to solve for any constants.

2. Can I use integration by parts to solve any type of recurrence formula?

No, integration by parts can only be used to solve linear recurrence formulas. Non-linear recurrence formulas require different methods for solving, such as substitution or generating functions.

3. What is the purpose of using integration by parts in solving a recurrence formula?

The purpose of using integration by parts is to simplify the recurrence formula and find a general solution. This allows us to find a closed-form solution for the recurrence formula, which is often more useful for practical applications compared to a recursive or iterative solution.

4. How do I know when to stop integrating by parts when solving a recurrence formula?

You should continue integrating by parts until the resulting integral is either a constant or can be easily evaluated. It is important to keep track of the terms and make sure that the integral does not become more complex with each iteration.

5. Can I use integration by parts to solve a recurrence formula with more than one variable?

Yes, integration by parts can be used for recurrence formulas with multiple variables. However, it may become more complex and involve partial derivatives, so it is important to carefully follow the steps and keep track of the variables.