Proving Recurrence Relation for f(x)

In summary, the conversation is about a recurrence relation and how to prove a given equation. The person has successfully removed the logs and is left with f(x+2) = f(x+1)f(x), but is unsure how to proceed from there. They are also asked to prove the uniqueness of the solution.
Char. Limit
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Let's say I had this recurrence relation:

[tex]log\left(f\left(x+2\right)\right) = log\left(f\left(x+1\right)\right) + log\left(f\left(x\right)\right)[/tex]

How do I prove, then, that...

[tex]f\left(x\right) = e^{c_1 L_x + c_2 F_x}[/tex]

?

Homework Equations

There probably are some, but I don't know any.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've gotten the equation to remove the logs, but I just get...

[tex]f\left(x+2\right) = f\left(x+1\right)f\left(x\right)[/tex]

I don't know where to go from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, use the properties of the logarithm to get rid of the logarithm:
[tex]log(f(x+ 2))= log(f(x+1))+ log(f(x))= log(f(x+1)f(x))[/tex]
and, since log is one-to-one, f(x+2)= f(x+1)f(x).

It's certainly true that the formula you gives satisfies that. Can you prove the solution is unique?

1. What is a recurrence relation?

A recurrence relation is a mathematical equation that defines a sequence of numbers, where each term is defined in terms of previous terms in the sequence.

2. How do you prove a recurrence relation for f(x)?

To prove a recurrence relation for f(x), you must show that the relation holds for all values of x. This can be done through mathematical induction, where you first show that the relation holds for a base case (usually x=0 or x=1), and then show that if the relation holds for any value of x, it also holds for the next value of x.

3. What is the purpose of proving a recurrence relation?

The purpose of proving a recurrence relation is to establish a mathematical relationship between the terms of a sequence, which can then be used to predict future terms in the sequence or to solve related problems.

4. Can a recurrence relation be solved in closed form?

In some cases, a recurrence relation can be solved in closed form, meaning the equation can be written in terms of a specific value of x. However, not all recurrence relations have a closed form solution, and in these cases, an iterative approach may be used to find the value of f(x) for a given value of x.

5. How do you know if a recurrence relation is correct?

To determine if a recurrence relation is correct, you can use the relation to generate a sequence of numbers and compare it to a known sequence or use the relation to solve a related problem and check the solution. Additionally, if the relation holds for all values of x, it is likely to be correct.