.Scott

Homework Helper
That's interesting. Do they also limit what languages\compilers you're allowed to use?
MISRA is specific to embedded automotive systems. I believe it specifies C or C++ standards exclusively - or rather, subsets of several releases of those language standards. As a matter of practicality, it requires automated support for MISRA compliance checking. So if those tools are not available for a development environment, that environment would not be practical to use.
Beyond the compiler, there is a requirement for controlling the impact of any single point of failure. So not just any microprocessor or any operating system can be used.

Wiki for MISRA C

DavidSnider

Gold Member
MISRA is specific to embedded automotive systems. I believe it specifies C or C++ standards exclusively - or rather, subsets of several releases of those language standards. As a matter of practicality, it requires automated support for MISRA compliance checking. So if those tools are not available for a development environment, that environment would not be practical to use.
Beyond the compiler, there is a requirement for controlling the impact of any single point of failure. So not just any microprocessor or any operating system can be used.

Wiki for MISRA C
Wow. This has led me down a rabbit hole of legal cases involving auto code not being MISRA compliant. Fascinating.

Klystron

Gold Member
As described in other posts above I also programmed factorial and Fibonacci functions in Pascal, first applying iteration then recursion at a time when stack / memory was quite limited. Lessons learned from Pascal progressed to practical recursion in Common Lisp. Applied sparingly, recursion made sense implementing tree traversals in game theory IIRC*, some counting algorithms and certain string manipulations such as recognizing palindromes and improving a codec.

Surprisingly, I once implemented recursive code in C/C++ to push pull bits within specialized flags on Sun Solaris servers. With space at a premium, I was able to code error signals from application function calls into a few 16 or 32-bit words. Recursion turned out to be the most efficient and fastest method to determine which functions had returned certain error conditions indicating incomplete intermediate computations without causing frame delays for other applications.

I wish I had code samples as it may have been machine specific but it worked well enough that NASA certified that flight simulator for full-motion hydraulics, a major milestone. The original sytems code would freeze or otherwise invalidate the entire frame instead of marking an error condition to be corrected during later frames. IIRC* the 32-bit words were sectioned into 8-bit conditional variables that operated across multiple threads to ensure that downstream apps always used reliable data.

Before programming, I had studied recursion in relation to self-referential functions in linguistics and set theory. Offered without proof, self reference is a requirement for a recursive function but not all self-referential functions can be written recursively. These ideas were useful implementing reflective memory and also for self-adaptive run-time code such as the flags mentioned above.

*"If I remember correctly". I may lack the brain power now to remember the code I designed. These Insight articles are an excellent mental stimulus. Thanks.

One can easily experiment with recursive routines on Excel.

Example 1: the Fibonacci sequence:

Cell A1 = 1
Cell A2 = 1
Cell A3 = A1 + A2

Then copy/paste the formula in Cell A3 to (n-3) cells below for n terms in the Fibonacci sequence.

Example 2: generate sine and cosine (actually we'll use versin(x) which is 1 - cos(x)). Let x = pi/6

Cell A1 = pi()/6*2^(-10), Cell B1 = (pi()/6*2^(-10))^2/2
- these are small angle approximations for sine and versin the smaller the angle the better the approximation.
Cell A2 = 2*A1*(1-B1), Cell B2 = 2*(A1)^2,
- doubling algorithm.

Copy/paste the doubling formulae in cells A2 and B2 to the next 9 rows to determine sin(pi/6) and versin(pi/6). Obviously cos(pi/6) is easily obtained from 1 - versin(pi/6).

Example 3. Home loan balance given fixed interest rate and monthly payment.

Cell A1 = 1e6
Cell A2 = A1*(1 + 0.01) - 11010.86

Copy / paste the formula in A2 to next 239 rows where n=240 is total no of months (period of loan). Graph your output to see the characteristic curve for loan balance.

Last edited: