Recursive Algorithm, does it look correct

• Thread starter Kingyou123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algorithm
In summary: If you want to keep all of the sums along the way, you can store them as an array.Make S an array with n entries.S(1) = 1, For x = 2 to n, S(x) = S(x-1) + x.Or something like that.rec(just a name for the algorithm) {for( n=1; >=2; i++)##S_n = S_{n-1}+n ##return ##S_n##I am not sure what language you are using for the for loop. Does that mean for n = 1 to something greater than or equal to 2 counting by integers?You will probably need to declare explicitly what the first member of your
Kingyou123

Homework Statement

1.PNG

Homework Equations

s1=1,sn=(sn-1) +n, and n>=2

The Attempt at a Solution

2.PNG

It looks correct, but I'm not sure it'll work for negative values.[/B]

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-29_8-45-57.png
    upload_2016-2-29_8-45-57.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 375
Physics news on Phys.org
If n = 2, wouldn't Sn = 3?
I feel like you might want to use a for loop for this... something like:
S=1
for x = 2 to n
build the sum
Return to sum of n terms.

@Kingyou123, what you wrote is difficult to read. What did you write on the third line? It looks like Rec followed by a backwards 3. I have no idea what that means.

On the last line, the part in parentheses is Sn - 1 + n. I'm sure this means ##S_{n - 1} + n##, but it looks more like S times n - 1 + n. The n - 1 part should be written as a subscript; i.e., lower than the preceding S.

Mark44 said:
@Kingyou123, what you wrote is difficult to read. What did you write on the third line? It looks like Rec followed by a backwards 3. I have no idea what that means.

On the last line, the part in parentheses is Sn - 1 + n. I'm sure this means ##S_{n - 1} + n##, but it looks more like S times n - 1 + n. The n - 1 part should be written as a subscript; i.e., lower than the preceding S.
Oh sorry that is my bracket,
rec(just a name for the algorithm) {
if(n==2)
return:1
return(##S_{n - 1} + n##)
RUber said:
If n = 2, wouldn't Sn = 3?
I feel like you might want to use a for loop for this... something like:
S=1
for x = 2 to n
build the sum
Return to sum of n terms.
Could you help with the algorithm?

Last edited:
Kingyou123 said:
Oh sorry that is my bracket,
if(n==2)
return:1
return(##S_{n - 1} + n##)

Could you help with the algorithm?

Suppose you input n = 5. What output would your algorithm deliver?

Ray Vickson said:
Suppose you input n = 5. What output would your algorithm deliver?
9... yeah, my mistake was thinking it would only run from 1 to 2. So if I place 5 in for Sn in ##S_{n - 1} + n## I get 4+5. I would have to simplify 5 to one 1. Could I just use (n-(n-1)? Like 5-(5-1) so that would give me 1 +sn which is 4. How would I write##S_{n - 1} + (n-(n-1)## in code?
Edit never mind this...

S_n = 1 + 2 + ... + n
means that
S_1 = 1
S_2 = 1+2 = 3
S_3 = 1+ 2 + 3 = 6
and so on.

So S_5 would be 15. It seems like to did not understand the notation of the problem.

Using the ##S_n = S_{n-1}+n ## allows you to run a for loop without actually storing every member of the sequence.
Start with S = 1.
For x = 2 to n, you can just add x to S.
##S_2 = S_1 + 2## becomes S = S + x in your loop.

If you want to keep all of the sums along the way, you can store them as an array.
Make S an array with n entries.
S(1) = 1, For x = 2 to n, S(x) = S(x-1) + x.
Or something like that.

RUber said:
S_n = 1 + 2 + ... + n
means that
S_1 = 1
S_2 = 1+2 = 3
S_3 = 1+ 2 + 3 = 6
and so on.

So S_5 would be 15. It seems like to did not understand the notation of the problem.

Using the ##S_n = S_{n-1}+n ## allows you to run a for loop without actually storing every member of the sequence.
Start with S = 1.
For x = 2 to n, you can just add x to S.
##S_2 = S_1 + 2## becomes S = S + x in your loop.

If you want to keep all of the sums along the way, you can store them as an array.
Make S an array with n entries.
S(1) = 1, For x = 2 to n, S(x) = S(x-1) + x.
Or something like that.
for( n=1; >=2; i++)
##S_n = S_{n-1}+n ##
return ##S_n##

Kingyou123 said:
for( n=1; >=2; i++)
##S_n = S_{n-1}+n ##
return ##S_n##
I am not sure what language you are using for the for loop. Does that mean for n = 1 to something greater than or equal to 2 counting by integers?
You will probably need to declare explicitly what the first member of your sequence is. Then you can add recursively to that.

RUber said:
I am not sure what language you are using for the for loop. Does that mean for n = 1 to something greater than or equal to 2 counting by integers?
You will probably need to declare explicitly what the first member of your sequence is. Then you can add recursively to that.
I'm sorry, that was a typo, it's suppose to be for(n=1; n>=2; n++). Is that correct? the n++ would show the part where the value of the previous part is added.

Kingyou123 said:
I'm sorry, that was a typo, it's suppose to be for(n=1; n>=2; n++). Is that correct?
No. This is standard C notation for a for loop, but the loop body wouldn't execute at all.

Here's why:
The initialization section (n = 1) is evaluated
The test section (n >= 2) is evaluated. Since n == 1, the expression n >= 2 is false, causing the loop to exit.
The update section (n++) is not evaluated in this circumstance.

Kingyou123 said:
What you wrote for a left brace -- the { character -- completely threw me off, as it doesn't look much at all like a brace. Also, you don't have a right brace at the end of your pseudocode.

Mark44 said:
No. This is standard C notation for a for loop, but the loop body wouldn't execute at all.

Here's why:
The initialization section (n = 1) is evaluated
The test section (n >= 2) is evaluated. Since n == 1, the expression n >= 2 is false, causing the loop to exit.
The update section (n++) is not evaluated in this circumstance.

Mark44 said:
What you wrote for a left brace -- the { character -- completely threw me off, as it doesn't look much at all like a brace. Also, you don't have a right brace at the end of your pseudocode.
Thank you, so if I started at n=2 the loop would start correct?

Start small, make sure that if you feed your code n=2, your output will be 1+2=3, and input of n=3 gives output of 3+3=6.
It is important that you differentiate between your sum S, input n, and iteration variable.
What you are writing does not make those distinctions clear.

Kingyou123 said:
When does the loop stop?

Kingyou123 said:
Yes, but you should start with n = 1.

Mark44 said:
Yes, but you should start with n = 1.
So I should change the n>=2 to n>=1?
RUber said:
When does the loop stop?
Would it stop when the value of n is less than 1?

RUber said:
But the problem statement asks for a recursive algorithm, which can be done without the use of a for loop, which I believe is the intent of this exercise.

Mark44 said:
But the problem statement asks for a recursive algorithm, which can be done without the use of a for loop, which I believe is the intent of this exercise.
So is the loop I've been working on incorrect? Should I have been using and if else?
if (n>=2)
(insert Sn here)
else
return answer ?

@Mark44 aha! I did not appreciate that distinction until you pointed it out.
I am not particularly familiar with C++, but do you mean that the OP was very close to the right format, but declared S2 = 1 instead of S1 = 1?

Kingyou123 said:
So is the loop I've been working on incorrect? Should I have been using and if else?
if (n>=2)
(insert Sn here)
else
return answer ?
if ... else is the way to go, but you should start with the case when n is 1.

Code:
if (n == 1)
   (do something  when n is 1)
else if (n > 1)
   (do something else for larger numbers)

RUber said:
@Mark44 aha! I did not appreciate that distinction until you pointed it out.
I am not particularly familiar with C++, but do you mean that the OP was very close to the right format, but declared S2 = 1 instead of S1 = 1?
His for loop header was correct as far as layout is concerned, but as written, the loop body would not have executed (I explained why). However, as the requirement is a recursive algorithm, a loop is not the right approach.

Hint to OP: the function doing the calculation should call itself. That's what recursive means.

Mark44 said:
if ... else is the way to go, but you should start with the case when n is 1.

Code:
if (n == 1)
   (do something  when n is 1)
else if (n > 1)
   (do something else for larger numbers)

Mark44 said:
His for loop header was correct as far as layout is concerned, but as written, the loop body would not have executed (I explained why). However, as the requirement is a recursive algorithm, a loop is not the right approach.

Hint to OP: the function doing the calculation should call itself. That's what recursive means.
20160229_130705.jpg

So is the proper code my professor asked for?

That's kind of the idea, but it isn't recursive.

Here's some C code that is recursive:
C:
int add_recursive(int n)
{
   if (n == 1)
      return 1;
   else if (n > 1)
      return add_recursive(n - 1) + n;
}

Mark44 said:
That's kind of the idea, but it isn't recursive.

Here's some C code that is recursive:
C:
int add_recursive(int n)
{
   if (n == 1)
      return 1;
   else if (n > 1)
      return add_recursive(n - 1) + n;
}
to correct my code I would just add the "add_recursice" part?

Have you been taught to write recursive algorithms? Or how to write algorithms that take parameters?

I debated posting the code that I showed, as possibly being too much help. I decided to post it, as you were pretty close, but I didn't think you would be able to get how to make your algorithm recursive.

The code I showed is working code, but it assumes that the parameter n is a positive integer; i.e., n >= 1. I don't test for n == 0 or for n < 0.

1. What is a recursive algorithm?

A recursive algorithm is a method of solving a problem where the solution depends on solutions to smaller instances of the same problem. It involves breaking down a larger problem into smaller, more manageable subproblems until a base case is reached.

2. How does a recursive algorithm work?

A recursive algorithm works by calling itself repeatedly until a base case is reached. Each time the function calls itself, it solves a smaller version of the original problem. Once the base case is reached, the function stops calling itself and returns the solution to the original problem.

3. What is a base case in a recursive algorithm?

A base case is a condition that, when reached, causes the recursive function to stop calling itself and return a solution. It is necessary to prevent the function from calling itself infinitely, also known as infinite recursion.

4. How do you determine if a recursive algorithm is correct?

To determine if a recursive algorithm is correct, you can test it with different inputs and compare the results to the expected output. Additionally, you can use mathematical induction to prove the correctness of a recursive algorithm.

5. What are the advantages of using a recursive algorithm?

One advantage of using a recursive algorithm is that it can make code more concise and readable. It also allows for a more elegant solution to certain problems, particularly those that involve repetitive or self-similar structures. However, it is important to consider the potential for stack overflow and inefficiency when using recursion.