Convergence of a Recursive Sequence: Proving a_n*c*n\rightarrow 1 for Positive c

• Thread starter happyxiong531
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary, the conversation discusses proving that if the sequence a_n satisfies the recurrence relation a_{n+1} = a_n(1-c*a_n/(1+a_n)), then a_n*c*n tends to 1 for all positive c. The participant believes it is true and provides a proof using the conditions 1-c*a_1/(1+a_1)>0 and all elements in the sequence being positive. They also mention making plots for different values of c and concluding that the proof is correct. However, they also admit that their proof may not be strict.
happyxiong531
I want to prove that
if the sequence [itex]a_n [/itex] satisfy that
[itex]a_{n+1}=a_n\left(1-c\frac{a_n}{1+a_n}\right)[/itex]
then [itex]a_n*c*n\rightarrow 1[/itex] for all positive [itex]c[/itex].

Like when [itex]c=1[/itex], then [itex]a_n*n\rightarrow 1[/itex],
but if [itex]c\neq 1[/itex], it's difficult to prove.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What makes you believe it is true? Your question implies [itex]a_n*n ->\frac{1}{c}[/itex]. Doesn't look right, especially for large c.

Last edited:
mathman said:
What makes you believe it is true? Your question implies a_n*n -> 1/c. Doesn't look right, especially for large c.

Thank you for you reply.
I think it's correct.
First, I can have [itex]a_n*n\rightarrow 1[/itex] when [itex]c=1[/itex], from
[itex]a_{n+1}=\frac{a_n}{1+a_n}=\frac{a_{n-1}}{1+2a_{n-1}}=\cdots=\frac{a_1}{1+(n+1)a_1}[/itex]

Then, let [itex]ca_n=b_n [/itex] if [itex]c\neq 1[/itex], [itex]c[/itex] is some constant. we can have [itex]b_{n+1}=b_n\left(1-\frac{b_n}{1+b_n/c}\right)[/itex].

Actually, it's easy to prove [itex]a_n[/itex] and [itex]b_n[/itex] will go to zero,
so, [itex]\frac{b_n}{1+b_n/c}\sim\frac{b_n}{1+b_n}[/itex], then[itex] b_n*n\rightarrow 1[/itex].

I have made a plot, it's correct no matter [itex]c[/itex] is larger or less than 1.
But I think my proof is not strict.
Thanks for your concern.

mathman said:
What makes you believe it is true? Your question implies [itex]a_n*n ->\frac{1}{c}[/itex]. Doesn't look right, especially for large c.

Oh, I forget there is a condition that
the sequence should satisfy that[itex]1-c\frac{a_1}{1+a_1}[/itex]>0,
so that all the elements in this sequence should be positive, and c cannot be too large.
I have made some plots like [itex]c=0.5, c=2[/itex], the conclusion is correct.
Thanks

Write out your complete proof.

1. What is a recursive sequence?

A recursive sequence is a sequence of numbers where each term is defined by a function of the previous term(s). In other words, each term is dependent on the values of the previous term(s).

2. How do you find the next term in a recursive sequence?

To find the next term in a recursive sequence, you need to apply the function or rule given in the sequence to the previous term. This will give you the value of the next term.

3. Can a recursive sequence have a closed form expression?

Yes, some recursive sequences can have a closed form expression, which is a formula that can directly calculate any term in the sequence without having to use the previous terms. However, not all recursive sequences have a closed form expression.

4. What is the difference between a recursive sequence and an arithmetic/geometric sequence?

A recursive sequence is defined by a function or rule that relates each term to the previous term(s), while an arithmetic sequence has a constant difference between each term and a geometric sequence has a constant ratio between each term.

5. How can recursive sequences be used in real life?

Recursive sequences can be used to model and solve various real-life problems, such as population growth, compound interest, and the Fibonacci sequence. They are also commonly used in computer science and programming to create algorithms and solve problems efficiently.