1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recursive series convergance

1. Nov 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given a recursive series I'm asked to determine for which values of [tex]\alpha , x [/tex] the series will be a convergent series.
    I'm also asked to calculate the limit, according to those values.
    Given values: [tex]\alpha, x[/tex] being non-negative

2. Relevant equations
    I am introduced to a recursive series:
    [tex]a_{n+1} = a^{2}_{n} + \alpha , [/tex]
    [tex] a_{1} = x [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Usually I'm introduced to a less generalized series (in which [tex] a_{1}[/tex] is given a real value) but now I find myself awfully confused and cannot determine a good starting point.

I appreciate any kind of help on this.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi boyo! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have an alpha: α and try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)
    Hint: try calculating the limit first …

then, starting at x, see whether the series goes towards that limit :tongue2:, or shoots off in the wrong direction! :rolleyes:

4. Nov 21, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the reply, tiny-tim.

However, while trying to calculate the limit, in the following manner

an+1 = L
    an = L

and coming up with the limit calculation:

[tex]L = L^2 - \alpha \longrightarrow L^2 - L - \alpha = 0 [/tex]

I end up with:

[tex]L_{1,2} = \frac{1}{2}\pm\sqrt{\frac{1}{4}-\alpha} [/tex]

I can't seem to understand where x takes place here, since it doesn't appear in the L1 or L2. Furthermore I can't come up with any conclusion about [tex]\alpha [/tex] from it.

5. Nov 21, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi boyo! :smile:

(what happened to that α i gave you? :confused:)
    Well, if α > 1/4, there isn't a limit, is there? :wink:

x is your starting-point … if an = x, an+1 might be higher or lower than x …

there may, for example, be a number for which an always increases on one side of that number, and decreases on the other side.

So one idea would be to prove that, with that starting-point, {an} is monotonic, and goes towards L1 or L2 (and does it fast enough to get there! :rolleyes:). :smile:

6. Nov 21, 2009 #5
    an is not x, but a1 is.

So [tex]a_{1} = x , a_{2} = x^2 + \alpha , x_{3} = (x^2 + \alpha)^2 + \alpha [/tex]
    and so on...

I remember from the limit calculation (because I am looking for values in which it will converge) that [tex]0\leq\alpha \leq \frac{1}{4}[/tex] but because there is some complex exponential growing, I cannot determine for which values the expression (x')2 will be less than x' (that is: x' = some long exponential value which results in being a fracture).

So basically still in a dead end for me.

7. Nov 21, 2009 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try this: for what values of an is an+1 > an ? :smile:

8. Nov 21, 2009 #7
    it leads to a solution of an x2 < 0 template, that is:
    [tex]\frac{1}{2} - \sqrt{\frac{1}{4} - \alpha}< a_{n} < \frac{1}{2} + \sqrt{\frac{1}{4} - \alpha}[/tex]

but that still leaves me with the unknown relation between alpha and an.

Thanks again.

9. Nov 21, 2009 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ok, so there are three regions, left middle and right (the one above is the middle) …

in each of those three regions, in which direction is an heading as n increases? :smile:

10. Nov 21, 2009 #9
    Uh.... I'm freshed out of ideas.
    I'm so sorry!!! :blushing:

11. Nov 21, 2009 #10

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, if an+1 > an in the middle region, then so long as an+1 stays in the middle region, that means that {an} is monotone increasing in that region, and it must converge (why? :wink:), so it will converge to the top of the region, ie 1/2 + √(1/4 - α).

Now fill out the proof for that case (the middle region), and then try the other two cases. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook