What is the Linear Combination of Recursive Series?

• Thread starter ramsey2879
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary: Table of coefficients for B_{n}1 00 11 -11 -21 -31 -41 -51 -61 -71 -81 -9The left hand column, (j=0) alternates between 1 and -1 for A_n and between 1 and 0 for B_n.Sloane A001109
ramsey2879
Let there be two recursive series S and R as follows:

[tex]S_{0} = 0 \quad S_{1} = s \quad S_{n} = 6S_{n-1} - S_{n-2} + p [/tex]
[tex]R_{0} = 0 \quad R_{1} = t \quad R_{n} = 6R_{n-1} - R_{n-2} + p [/tex]

Prove [tex]S_{n}*(R_{n+1} + t - p) = R_{n}*(S_{n+1} + s - p)[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Sn is a linear combination of s and p, as Rn is of t and p. In fact, they can be written as
[tex]\begin{align*}
S_n &= s A_n + p B_n \\
R_n &= t A_n + p B_n
\end{align*}[/tex]​
where
[tex]
\begin{align*}
A_n &= 6 A_{n-1} - A_{n-2} & "(Sloane A001109)" \\
B_n &= 6 B_{n-1} - B_{n-2} + 1
\end{align*}
[/tex]​
A few things can be said about An and Bn. It is easy to prove by induction that
[tex]B_n = \sum_{i=1}^{n-1} A_i[/tex]​
Thus [itex]B_{n+1} = A_n + B_n[/itex].
Since [itex]B_{n+1}[/itex] is also [itex]6 B_n - B_{n-1} + 1[/itex],
we have [itex]A_n = 5 B_n - B_{n-1} + 1[/itex].

From the above, it is possible to work by induction to prove
[tex]
B_n (B_n - 1) = B_{n+1} B_{n-1}
[/tex]​
and from here, to arrive by substitution to
[tex]
A_n (B_{n+1} - 1) = B_n (A_{n+1}+1)
[/tex]​

At this point it is possible to use these results to prove your claim. It is best to rule out first two simpler cases, (1) s=t and (2) p=0, and finally, the case where both s[itex]\neq[/itex]t and p[itex]\neq[/itex]0.

More specifically, you'll arrive to something like
[tex]
p (s-t) \left( A_n B_{n+1} - A_n - B_n - A_{n+1}B_n \right) = 0
[/tex]​

Last edited:
ramsey2879 said:
Let there be two recursive series S and R as follows:

[tex]S_{0} = 0 \quad S_{1} = s \quad S_{n} = 6S_{n-1} - S_{n-2} + p [/tex]
[tex]R_{0} = 0 \quad R_{1} = t \quad R_{n} = 6R_{n-1} - R_{n-2} + p [/tex]

Prove [tex]S_{n}*(R_{n+1} + t - p) = R_{n}*(S_{n+1} + s - p)[/tex]
I also discovered that "p" can be different for S and R so let p1 correspond to S and p2 correspond to R. My identity becomes

[tex] S_{n}*(R_{n+1}+t -p2) = R_{n}*(S_{n+1} + s - p1)[/tex]

Also any integer can be substituted for the 6 in the recursive formula

I was wondering about that. Now what about a second integer coefficient (i.e. other than -1) on the n-2 term?

why not look at:
T(n)=S(n)-R(n)=6(S(n-1)-R(n-1))-(S(n-2)-S(n-1))=6T(n-1)-T(n-2)
T(0)=0
T(1)=s-t
solve for T(n), and now you have a connection between S(n) and R(n), then you can write S(n)=R(n)+(solution of T(n)) and then you write each side of the equation with only one of the expressions which is much easier than both S and R, i think it should be easier, did'nt try it myself though.

Dodo said:
I was wondering about that. Now what about a second integer coefficient (i.e. other than -1) on the n-2 term?
I tried integers from -9 to 9 for the n-2 term multiplier but only -1 worked. I will work more on the theory now. By the way the LaTex graphic for the A(n) and B(n) definition in your first post doesn't generate on my computer. Is there a problem with it?

Yes, thanks. It was supposed to be
[tex]
\begin{align*}
A_0 = 0; \ \ \ A_1 = 1; \ \ \ & A_n = 6 A_{n-1} - A_{n-2} & \mbox{ (Sloane A001109) } \\
B_0 = 0; \ \ \ B_1 = 0; \ \ \ & B_n = 6 B_{n-1} - B_{n-2} + 1
\end{align*}
[/tex]​
It showed in the preview, but not in the post. I just thought it was some server load issue. And it was incomplete anyway. And my LaTex sucks.

BTW, did you follow the same route for the proof? Mine was too long. Maybe using the closed form of the sequences is faster, but that's beyond me.

Last edited:
Dodo said:
Yes, thanks. It was supposed to be
[tex]
\begin{align*}
A_0 = 0; \ \ \ A_1 = 1; \ \ \ & A_n = 6 A_{n-1} - A_{n-2} & \mbox{ (Sloane A001109) } \\
B_0 = 0; \ \ \ B_1 = 0; \ \ \ & B_n = 6 B_{n-1} - B_{n-2} + 1
\end{align*}
[/tex]​
It showed in the preview, but not in the post. I just thought it was some server load issue. And it was incomplete anyway. And my LaTex sucks.

BTW, did you follow the same route for the proof? Mine was too long. Maybe using the closed form of the sequences is faster, but that's beyond me.

It seems that a proof is more involved now that we added more variables to the mix
I like the [tex]A_{n}[/tex] and [tex]B_{n}[/tex] approach but we need to rephase it using x in place of 6.
There are two tables of coefficients for A_n and B_n each are triangular with T{i,j) = T(i-1,j-1) - T(i-1,j) for j > 0. The left hand column, (j=0) alternates between 1 and -1 for A_n and between 1 and 0 for B_n.
Table of coefficients for [tex] A_{n}[/tex]
-1 1
1 -2 1
-1 3 -3 1
1 -4 6 -4 1
The powers of x increase from left to right
You use diagonal lines through this table with a slope of 1 down to 2 across

A(1) = 1
A(2) = x
A(3) = -1 + x^2
A(4) = -2x+x^3
A(5) = 1 -3x^2 + x^4

Table of coefficients for [tex]B_{n}[/tex]

0 1
1 -1 1
0 2 -2 1
1 -2 4 -3 1

Here there are two adjacent diagonal lines that make up the polynomial in x

B(2) = 1
B(3) = 1 + x
B(4) = x+ x^2
B(5) = -x + x^2 + x^3

I got to close now.

Last edited:
have you even tried my suggestion, cause it seems this appraoch gets you nowhere.

p.s
do you know how to solve recursive equations?

loop quantum gravity said:
have you even tried my suggestion, cause it seems this appraoch gets you nowhere.

p.s
do you know how to solve recursive equations?
I thought of that but the solution I knew was for basic equations with the d variable equal to 0. The known solution would be for [tex]S_{n} = bS_{n-1} - S_{n-2} + d[/tex] for d = 0.
Now that you mention it I went back to figure how to add a constant to each term of my series to get to a recursive series that has 0 for the d variable.
Thus I found that if I add [tex]\frac{d}{b-2}[/tex] to each term of my series I obtain a new series with the same auxiliary equation [tex]x^2-bx+1 = 0[/tex] with roots [tex] r_{1} , r_{2}[/tex] but with d = 0. Then A and B are found by solving the following set of equations;
[tex]S_{n} = Ar_{1}^{n} + Br_{2}^{n} - \frac{d}{b-2}[/tex]

Do you agree with this?

Last edited:
Dodo said:
Sn is a linear combination of s and p, as Rn is of t and p. In fact, they can be written as
[tex]\begin{align*}
S_n &= s A_n + p B_n \\
R_n &= t A_n + p B_n
\end{align*}[/tex]​
where
[tex]A_{0} = 0 \quad A_{1} = 1 \quad A_{n} = 6 A_{n-1} - A_{n-2}[/tex]
[tex]B_{0} = B_{1} = 0 \quad B_{n} = 6 B_{n-1} - B_{n-2} + 1[/tex]
Dodo said:
A few things can be said about An and Bn. It is easy to prove by induction that
[tex]B_n = \sum_{i=1}^{n-1} A_i[/tex]​
Thus [tex]B_{n+1} = A_n + B_n[/itex].
Since [itex]B_{n+1}[/itex] is also [itex]6 B_n - B_{n-1} + 1[/itex],
we have [itex]A_n = 5 B_n - B_{n-1} + 1[/itex].

From the above, it is possible to work by induction to prove
[tex]
B_n (B_n - 1) = B_{n+1} B_{n-1}
[/tex]​
and from here, to arrive by substitution to
[tex]
A_n (B_{n+1} - 1) = B_n (A_{n+1}+1)
[/tex]​
At this point it is possible to use these results to prove your claim. It is best to rule out first two simpler cases, (1) s=t and (2) p=0, and finally, the case where both s[itex]\neq[/itex]t and p[itex]\neq[/itex]0.

More specifically, you'll arrive to something like
[tex]
p (s-t) \left( A_n B_{n+1} - A_n - B_n - A_{n+1}B_n \right) = 0
[/tex]​
I looked this over again and it indeed does prove my identity even for the added variables. Thanks for your effort. PS I simplified the LaTex that didn't take for some reason. I think your LaTex is much better than mine though.

Again I thank you.

1. What is a recursive series?

A recursive series is a mathematical sequence where each term in the series is defined by a previous term, using a specific formula or rule.

2. What is the concept of equality in a recursive series?

In a recursive series, equality means that two different sequences of numbers have the same value when the same formula or rule is applied to each term in the sequence.

3. How is the equality of recursive series determined?

The equality of recursive series can be determined by comparing the formulas or rules that define each term in the sequences. If the formulas are the same, then the series are equal.

4. Can recursive series be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, recursive series can be used to model and solve real-world problems in various fields such as physics, economics, and computer science. For example, the Fibonacci sequence is a recursive series that can model the growth of populations in biology or the placement of leaves on a stem in botany.

5. What are some examples of recursive series?

Some examples of recursive series include the Fibonacci sequence, the factorial sequence, and the geometric series. Each of these sequences has a specific formula or rule that defines each term in the series based on previous terms.