Recycling electricity

1. Aug 5, 2014 #1
    If I can recycle electricity with a device made of pieces of equipment that ware out very slowly (Years or longer) would it be a good idea to build such a device?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2014 #2

donpacino

Gold Member

that depends on the devices in question, the state of the devices, and how you are using them.

4. Aug 5, 2014 #3

donpacino

Gold Member

In general as long as the parts are not defective and operating correctly it should be fine

5. Aug 5, 2014 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF!

What does the phrase "recycle electricity" mean?

6. Aug 5, 2014 #5
    "recycle electricity": After the electricity has been used for the primary purpose, say a light bulb, then using the light from the light bulb to create electricity for another purpose.

7. Aug 5, 2014 #6
    that would be pointless. you are collecting so little energy, its not at all worth it.

8. Aug 5, 2014 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Well actually this is done for several things I can think of, so if the power need is small and wiring impractical/undesirable it could be useful. Examples:

Calculators
    Faucets
    Data loggers

9. Aug 5, 2014 #8

donpacino

Gold Member

I just realized I misunderstood your original post. I thought you wanted to recycle old electronics for a new purpose

10. Aug 7, 2014 #9

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Better than trying to re-use energy or materials is to use less of them in the first place. The savings are tax free, too. For all those little devices that run for years on a primary battery - keep using the batteries; they cost so little to run per day and you have true portability.

The philosopher's stone would be a non-contacting way of recharging mobile phones etc that costs little enough that you can have one in every room (every surface). Also, you need a way of reminding you to pick up the phone as you leave the room.
    I really don't think that the 'charge anywhere in the room' system will ever be obtainable. Just wait until e-ink is good enough for fast, colourful displays and battery life will be a problem of the past.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted