Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Red beans and rice in New Orleans

1. Sep 30, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does anyone know about his? Why do New Orleanians always smile when this is mentioned? Do they do something special or do they eat plain old beans and rice. And where does this Monday thing come from [I think it is on Mondays that they eat this]?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2005 #2
    We had chicken every sunday, and on mondays we always had meatloaf. Once in NO, I mentioned that to someone, and they looked horrified. Monday is always red beans and rice. Its just a regional thing. But its also very good/spicy.

4. Sep 30, 2005 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The first time I tried sweet tea I about fell out of my chair. I like it but I couldn't believe that so many people would drink something sooooooo sweet. But I do love that southern cooking.

I have spent a good amount of time in the Southbut never made it to the NO area, so those traditions are unfamiliar.

5. Sep 30, 2005 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I tried making sweet tea with the recipe that...hmm...was it Pattylou who provided the recipe? Or hypatia? Or...? Well, someone here posted it. On my first attempt, it was good, but a tad too sweet (and I added lemon, but it wasn't enough). I tried a second attempt tonight, to serve with the gumbo I'm making for dinner tomorrow (I'm having two of the post-docs I work with over for dinner...we're having an ecclectic dinner of Indian and Cajun). I don't think I'll be serving it though. I like it, but I'm not sure it's what anyone else would expect of iced tea. It's not quite sweet enough and too much lemon this time. :rolleyes: It tastes a bit more like lemonade with some tea flavor. I'll have to adjust the sugar and lemon to something between the amounts in my first two attempts on my third attempt.

Red beans and rice is tasty. It has spices added that are pretty yummy, though I seem to recall it being served with all the breakfast dishes, which was a bit odd for me (though great when I was getting a late breakfast that was more of a brunch).

6. Oct 1, 2005 #5

wolram

Gold Member

Americans, can not make tea. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

7. Oct 1, 2005 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

After years of drinking heavily sweetened tea in the South, I am now just the opposite - I can't stand a bit of sugar in my iced tea. I have to have it plain.
    but ooh, I love me some red beans and rice, oh yes! gumbo, too, with lots of okra. I even like pickled okra - yum!!

8. Oct 1, 2005 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I love okra, fired, pickled, but I don't like it in my gumbo. I used to grow okra when I lived in Houston. They get about 7 feet tall, they're a hibiscus and the flowers are very pretty.

9. Oct 1, 2005 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I will have to talk my parents into growing some. Of course, the local deer population will go crazy over those flowers! Mom finds them munching on the hibiscus all the time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?