Red blood cell general concepts.

In summary: If something diffuses faster than something else, then the faster-moving molecule will eventually outpace the slower-moving molecule and the two will no longer be in equilibrium with each other. So, if you introduce molecules of different sizes, then the faster-moving molecules will diffused into the cell faster than the slower-moving molecules, and the cell will become more hypotonic (have more water in it).
nemzy
Can anyone correct me if I am wrong? This is basic basic basic basic basic basic biology, and i am just trying to refresh my memory and make sure that i am stating the correct facts

1) General concepts about tonicity
----
Lets say for example, we have a red blood cell exposed to solutions of different tonicity (hypo, iso, hyper)

If the red blood cell was hypotonic to the solution, then the red's blood cell volume will increase, and ultimatey lysing the cell.

If the red blood cell was iso to the solution, it will make no differenfce

If the red blood cell was hyper to the solution, the cell would shrivel as water will leave the cell and thus losing volume in the red blood cell.

2) Let's say for example, the isotonic concentrations for the red blood cell's was exposed to different solution of increasing osmlarity but equal concnetration. If this was to happen, osmosis would be in equilibrium, since osmosis is only determnined only by a difference in total solute concentration, nut just spefically different solutions.

3) If polar molecules of increasing molecular weight was introduced to the red blood cell plasma membrane, then how would the rate of transport across the red blood cell membrane change? Well, first of all , it is very hard for a polar molecule to pass thru the membrane, let alone the size. So, the rate of transport across the red blood cell membrane would greatly be reduced.

So am i stating the correct facts. Or are they any more stuff that can be added to my concepts? If I am wrong anywhere, can you show me where and why?

thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
There are some errors, so I'll try to offer some hints for you to find them yourself (you'll remember it better if you find your own mistakes).
1) You're saying the (contents of the) red cell are hypo- or hypertonic relative to the solution it is in. What does that mean in terms of ion concentration inside the cell, and outside the cell (outside=solution)? Be careful whether you are referring to the contents of the cell as hypo/hypertonic, or the solution as hypo/hypertonic relative to the other.

2) What is the definition of osmolarity? What is the definition of concentration?

i see...

for 1) i should have said the solution "..." to the cell instead of the other way around.

for 2) osmorality is defined as solute concentration defined as molarity (moles of solute/liters). What exactly is concentration?? Ahh sorry for asking such a stupid question...

and i am totally clueless on how different solutes at the same concentration cuold hvae different osmolarities

also for 3)..is my conceptual thinking right on this part?

thanks

nemzy said:
for 2) osmorality is defined as solute concentration defined as molarity (moles of solute/liters). What exactly is concentration?? Ahh sorry for asking such a stupid question...

and i am totally clueless on how different solutes at the same concentration cuold hvae different osmolarities

That's why I asked you to define both osmolarity and concentration. Osmolarity (molarity) is a measure of concentration. That part of the question made no sense to me, unless you're attempting to use two different measures of concentration. For example, if you are talking about two different solutes, then the solutions made from them could have the same osmolarity, but concentration as measure in g/mL would be different because that would depend on the molecular weight. But, in terms of diffusion, weight/volume measures of concentration aren't relevant, it's molarity that matters.

also for 3)..is my conceptual thinking right on this part?

thanks

As long as you're talking about the ability of molecules of different sizes to diffuse into a cell (it wasn't completely clear from the wording of the question). From the general trend of the questions, I assume they are all referring to simple diffusion.

1. What is the primary function of red blood cells?

The primary function of red blood cells is to transport oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the body and to remove carbon dioxide from the body.

2. How are red blood cells produced?

Red blood cells are produced in the bone marrow through a process called erythropoiesis. Stem cells in the bone marrow develop into red blood cells and are released into the bloodstream.

3. What gives red blood cells their red color?

Red blood cells get their red color from a protein called hemoglobin, which binds to oxygen and gives blood its red color.

4. What is the average lifespan of a red blood cell?

The average lifespan of a red blood cell is about 120 days. After that, they are removed from the body by the liver and spleen.

5. Can red blood cells regenerate?

Yes, red blood cells can regenerate. The body is constantly producing new red blood cells to replace the old ones that are removed from the body.