Calculating Resistance of a Non-Metallic Pencil Lead | 390 Ohm Example

• Thread starter qim
  • Start date
In summary, the question is asking to show that a pencil lead made of non-metallic material with a resistivity of 4.0 x 10^-3 m has a resistance of 390 Ohm given its length and diameter. The equation R = rho x l / A can be used to calculate the resistance, but there may be other factors to consider, such as the uniformity of the material inside the resistor.
qim
I have a question:

A pencil "lead" is made from non-metallic material which has a resistivity, at room temperature, of 4.0 x 10^-3 m.

A piece of this meterial has a length of 0.15 m and a diameter of 1.40 x 10^-3 m.

Show that the resitance of this specimen is 390 Ohm.

-----

Well I though of using R = rho x l / A

But then I read earlier that " by examining the dimensions of the resistor (assuming it is made from resistance wire instead of carbon as some are) we can also work out its resistance"

Does that mean that the question is a red herring, as the pencil lead is made from non metallic material?

Help...

Thanks

qim

Physics news on Phys.org
Other than the units being wrong for resistivity (they should be ohmsxlength, not just length) there is no "red-herring". It is just a simple multiplication.

Njorl

Thanks Njorl

But what am I to make of the statement that the equation should only work for resistors made of resistance wire?

That's the bit I could not understand.

Thanks

qim

I'm just guessing here:

Is it possible that they're covering themselves to take into account that typical resistors aren't uniform on the inside? IIRC, some are (deliberately) packed with small pockets of air.

1. What is a red herring?

A red herring is a type of logical fallacy that involves diverting attention away from the main issue or point being discussed by introducing irrelevant or misleading information.

2. How is a red herring used in arguments?

A red herring can be used in arguments to distract or confuse the audience, making it difficult for them to focus on the main point being made. It can also be used to manipulate emotions or create a false sense of urgency.

3. What are some examples of red herring?

Some common examples of red herring include changing the subject, attacking the person instead of the argument, and introducing unrelated information or questions.

4. How can I identify a red herring in an argument?

To identify a red herring, look for any information or statements that seem irrelevant or do not directly address the main topic. Also, pay attention to any sudden shifts in the direction of the argument or attempts to appeal to emotions rather than logic.

5. How can I avoid using a red herring in my own arguments?

To avoid using a red herring in your own arguments, make sure to stay focused on the main point and use relevant and credible evidence to support your claims. Avoid introducing irrelevant information or trying to manipulate the audience's emotions.