1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Red light

1. Jul 30, 2004 #1
    Why the stop lights at the back of cars are red ?
    Some say because red light is visible from far distances.
    If that's true, is any relation between this property of red light and its wave length ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2004 #2
    yes, because red light has a higher wavelength (750nm), this means it has the abillity to diffract more, since waves with larger wavelengths diffract more. This is a problem with the auromobile industry, the light up dials on a dashboard are usually blue, they should be red, since blue is the hardest colour to see. Do an experiment, place blue light on a clock and watch the time pass, and then do it in red light, youll see the difference clearly.

4. Jul 30, 2004 #3
    I believe the easiest light to see is yellow ( sunlight ) but we are accustomed to certain colors meaning something as well i.e
    yellow -- warning
    red --- danger
    green -- no problem

5. Jul 30, 2004 #4
    the eye is the most sencitive to yellow and green light, that is true, but red light gives the most detail because of its diffraction abilities.

6. Jul 30, 2004 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Red light would give the least detail since it diffracts more than blue light.

7. Jul 30, 2004 #6

LURCH

Science Advisor

I think that RayJohn has the right idea; the reason brake lights and stoplights and stop signs are red has more to do with psychology than the physics of red light.

8. Jul 30, 2004 #7
    Nope, I know this for a fact, it might be used for psychological reasons, but red light allows you to see in better detail tha blue light. Doc Al puts up a good point, but try it for yourself, youll see the result.

9. Jul 30, 2004 #8

Janitor

Science Advisor

Some studies have indicated that yellow vehicles are the easiest for drivers to see at a distance or in bad weather, and for that reason some municipalities have yellow fire trucks. From that I might think that yellow lights would be the easiest to see at a distance or through fog.

At any rate, I always assumed that red was chosen for stoplights because of its association with spilled blood, i.e. Danger ahead!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?