UV Star Redshift 8: Doppler Effect Impact on IR Spectrum?

In summary: But thanks for catching that!In summary, the light from a fast-moving star will be detected at a lower energy than when the star is closer to Earth. This is because the star emits radiation at a lower frequency when it is moving away from Earth.
BosonJaw
Hello friends!

Would a star (O-Type) with max output peaking in the UV range, which was subject to (at distance) redshift 8 end up in the IR spectrum when its light approached earth? Would this be taking into consideration the doppler effect?

BTW, yes this is somewhat an extension of my previous question but I am also working on it! another few hours of searching he's led to its evolution to this question. I am just trying to figure out the effect of distance (space) on a light source given the applicable laws (obviously dopplers law here) I think a stars red shift would work well!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Well, the level of redshift depends on the relative velocity between the star and Earth.
If the star was moving fast enough away from Earth it should be theorethically possible to have a great shift in the observed spectrum of the star, though I am unsure of the greatest shift measured so far. Also, when considering redshift one must also take into account the time period over which it is measured.

Redshift is all about the doppler effect yes. But the light from the star does not change "as its light approaches earth". Remember that it is the frequency and the wavelength that changes, but energy of the photon remains the same.

AppleBite said:
Redshift is all about the doppler effect yes. But the light from the star does not change "as its light approaches earth". Remember that it is the frequency and the wavelength that changes, but energy of the photon remains the same.

I don't think so. If there is a star moving away from Earth very fast (let say half c) , and the star illuminates a very narrow band of light at certain frequency and at pulses. Then from Earth we can detect the light from the star at lower frequency, meaning lower energy. The trick here is that we can receive longer pulses.

That is true yes. But a lower frequency does not mean lower energy as the wavelength is increased. E=fw
You could be right, still. I'll do some research on this and get back to you;)

However, I feel I expressed myself a bit cryptically and do appologize for this. The intention was that it is the intensity of the light that decreases as the relative velocity increases.

1. What is UV Star Redshift 8?

UV Star Redshift 8 is a distant galaxy located approximately 13 billion light years away from Earth. It is one of the most distant known galaxies in the observable universe.

2. What is the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave, such as light or sound, due to the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. It is commonly observed in everyday life, such as the change in pitch of a siren as a police car passes by.

3. How does the Doppler Effect impact the IR spectrum in UV Star Redshift 8?

Due to the high velocity of the galaxy and its distance from Earth, the Doppler Effect causes a shift in the wavelengths of light emitted by UV Star Redshift 8. In the infrared (IR) spectrum, we observe a redshift, meaning the wavelengths of light are stretched and appear longer than they would be if the galaxy were not moving away from us.

4. What can the Doppler Effect in UV Star Redshift 8 tell us about the galaxy?

The Doppler Effect allows us to measure the velocity at which UV Star Redshift 8 is moving away from us. This, in turn, can provide information about the expansion rate of the universe and the formation of galaxies. The extent of the redshift can also give clues about the age and composition of the galaxy.

5. How is the Doppler Effect used in studying distant galaxies like UV Star Redshift 8?

The Doppler Effect is a crucial tool in studying distant galaxies such as UV Star Redshift 8. By measuring the redshift of light from these galaxies, we can gain insights into the early universe and the processes that led to the formation of galaxies. It also allows us to map the distribution of matter in the universe and study the expansion of the universe over time.