How do know if something is red-shifted without prior knowledge?

• Thread starter Saoist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Knowledge
In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine redshift in astronomical observations without prior knowledge. One method is to identify familiar groupings of line spectra, which can vary based on the chemical composition of the source. However, this can be complicated due to the use of forbidden lines and the potential for confusion.
Saoist
sorry if this sounds a tad retarded but astronomical topics arent my forte...how do know if something is red-shifted without prior knowledge?

say you've got light emitted from galaxy far far away at 500nm, and it ends up on Earth at 510nm. how can you differentiate between 510nm actual radiation and 500nm radiation red shifted?

it sounds like circular reasoning to me: by the amount of red shift, you can figure out the source velocity, except you don't know the original wavelength, so we can figure it out from the shift, except to know the original wavelength you need to know the shift already and hence the velocity...aaand now I'm confused.

i thought you could do it by recognising familiar groupings of line spectra...but surely the spectra will vary according to what the source is composed of etc.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Saoist said:
i thought you could do it by recognising familiar groupings of line spectra...
Yes, this is how it's done.
Most sources hardly consist of anything but hydrogene and helium, so there's no problem with identifying these lines.

Saoist said:
i thought you could do it by recognising familiar groupings of line spectra...but surely the spectra will vary according to what the source is composed of etc.
In addition to what EL said, those spectra vary so much based on the chemical composition that elements really can't be mistaken for other elements, redshifted.

russ_watters said:
In addition to what EL said, those spectra vary so much based on the chemical composition that elements really can't be mistaken for other elements, redshifted.

Well, they were initially, but once it was pointed out, it was pretty unambiguous. :smile:

It's amusing some of the elements they used to identify with quasar absorption and emission lines.

forbidden lines would have been a great source of confusion!

1. How do scientists measure redshift?

Scientists measure redshift by analyzing the spectrum of light emitted from an object. The wavelength of light is stretched or "shifted" towards the red end of the spectrum if the object is moving away from us.

2. What is the difference between redshift and blueshift?

Redshift refers to light that is shifted towards longer, redder wavelengths, indicating that the object is moving away from us. Blueshift, on the other hand, refers to light that is shifted towards shorter, bluer wavelengths, indicating that the object is moving towards us.

3. Can redshift be caused by something other than the object's motion?

Yes, redshift can also be caused by the expansion of the universe. As the universe expands, the wavelength of light from distant objects is stretched, resulting in redshift.

4. What is the relationship between redshift and distance?

The greater the redshift of an object, the farther away it is from us. This is because the further away an object is, the faster it appears to be moving away from us due to the expansion of the universe.

5. How can redshift be used to study the universe?

Redshift is a crucial tool for understanding the universe. By measuring the redshift of distant objects, scientists can determine their distance and calculate the rate of expansion of the universe. Redshift also helps us study the evolution of galaxies and the distribution of matter in the universe.