Optimizing Truss Design for Pipeline Support: Initial Analysis Methods

• Thread starter Jonathanjc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Support
In summary, the conversation is about the initial analysis for redesigning a truss structure for a pipeline support. The individual has attached a drawing of the pipeline and performed force equilibrium to find the force perpendicular to the pipe that the pipe support will need to manage. However, the answer received is suspicious and the individual is seeking advice on whether equilibrium of forces is the right method for this problem. Another individual suggests a different method and the conversation ends with the individual being grateful for the input.
Jonathanjc
I am attempting to redesign a truss structure for a pipeline support. I would like to find out how best to go about the initial analysis. I have attached a drawing of the pipeline in question and labelled the axial force I am working with. The pipeline is at 60° and the shaded area shows the kind of reaction the pipe will have under this kind of force. I have initially performed force equilibrium to try and find the force perpendicular to the pipe that the pipe support will need to manage. However, its given me a suspicious answer of around 93isH kN - more than the axial load and I am not convinced.

Could anyone give some advice. Whether equilibrium of forces is the wrong or right way to go for this type of problem.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Pipeline Analysis.pdf
    26.6 KB · Views: 240
Engineering news on Phys.org
How do u get 93?? How is ur FBD?

Hi,

I have attached my FBD. Fc was presumed to be 81kN which worked out and Fb came out to be -93.533kN. So the force arrow according to the FBD would flip back on its self. To me this does not look correct.

Maybe this is the wrong method to use for this problem. Or maybe I missing something. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 410
Hi.

Im not sure if i understand the Fc. Anyway the simplets way i think i would look at is this way(se attachement).
Else i would think you would need to know the moment at the fixed point of the pipe and length and own weight and so on the more stuff could be calculated.

Hope it helped you :)

Might be errors kinda late :)

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:
I was using Fc as the pipe from the initial point Fa. I guess it wasn't really necessary to do it that way.

Thanks for your input it has helped.
:)

Glad it helped you. :)

What is the purpose of a pipeline support?

A pipeline support is used to provide structural support and stability to pipelines, preventing them from sagging or collapsing under their own weight. It also helps to distribute the weight of the pipeline evenly across the ground, reducing the risk of damage or leaks.

What factors should be considered when redesigning a pipeline support?

When redesigning a pipeline support, factors such as the type and size of the pipeline, the terrain and soil conditions, the expected load and pressure on the pipeline, and any potential environmental hazards must be taken into account.

What are the common materials used for pipeline supports?

The most commonly used materials for pipeline supports include steel, concrete, and composite materials such as fiberglass or carbon fiber. The specific material chosen will depend on the specific needs and requirements of the pipeline, as well as cost and availability.

How can the safety and stability of a pipeline support be ensured?

The safety and stability of a pipeline support can be ensured through careful design and engineering, regular inspections and maintenance, and adherence to industry standards and regulations. It is also important to consider potential risks and hazards, and have contingency plans in place for emergencies.

What are some potential challenges in redesigning a pipeline support?

Some potential challenges in redesigning a pipeline support include budget constraints, environmental regulations, and the need to minimize disruption to the surrounding area and any existing infrastructure. It may also be necessary to consider potential future changes or expansions to the pipeline when designing the support.