Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rediscovering Old Music

1. Aug 3, 2004 #1

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I was going through some of my old cds from the early to mid 90's that I haven't listen to in years and i'm just blown away by the quality of music. I can't get enough Oasis, STP and Nirvana, especially Oasis. Modern music pals in comparison to what it used to be until the whole pop/rap craze. I miss the 90's now. :frown:

So, have you guys and gals rediscovered any music that you thought was amazing?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2004 #2
    Nope, except for a very few songs and bands, I don't listen to anything released after 1998. This decade sucks for music.

4. Aug 3, 2004 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Music seems to exert its influence mostly through emotions. When I listen to Pearl Jam, I can't help feeling nostalgic. It's not that 90's music is really that amazing, it's just that it reminds us of (hopefully happy) times past.

Almost everyone goes through this -- my father still loves the music he listened to when he was a teenager. It's scary, but in the future there will be people who will look back fondly on Britney and N'Sync in the same way.

- Warren

5. Aug 3, 2004 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have always remained found and familiar with msot favorites from the 60s, 70s, and 80's, but what amazes me are some of the really, really cheesy songs from my teen years [70's] that I still like. The other day Math IH and I were talking about a good example: One Tin Soldier [The Legend of Billy Jack], by Coven; vintage ~ 1973.

I never noticed back then how much brass was used in pop music. Funny since I don't like brass much now.

6. Aug 3, 2004 #5
    Nirvana is my favorite band. Today I think quality music has become less important than the marketing of the music to make money.

7. Aug 3, 2004 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How about Roxette? "Don't bore us - get to the chorus!" :smile:
    Or the Cranberries with Zombie..
    the Four non-blonds with What's up..

You know, I couldn't name you a single song from this century :eek:
    oh wait, I can.. but only from Alanis Morissette.. :)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2004
  8. Aug 3, 2004 #7

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

One of my friend's sister was a huge Cranberries fan. Their music is good, but I couldn't get past the lead singer's yodeling in zombie. At least that's what it sounds to me.

9. Aug 3, 2004 #8

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Most of my favorite composers have been dead over a century. :biggrin:

10. Aug 3, 2004 #9
    I agree...except I'm talking about Hip Hop.

The Rap nowadays is horrible. It's aimed towards white, suburban kids, as opposed to adults like the old kind. It's also horrible how all they talk about is their Mercedes, their *****es, money or jewlery.

The early-mid 90's rap lyrics had a lot of thought in them, and it was aimed towards people who could understand it. Not rich kids that want to be tough.

11. Aug 3, 2004 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Most of the music I listen to is Classic Rock - so 60s, and 70s (some 80s, very little 90s and almost nothing after).

Somehow, I really can't appreciate Hip-Hop or Pop. I listen to a little Jazz (again folks from a couple decades ago - Sachmo, Monk, Davis, Coltrane...), some Classical, very little folk or country, almost no death metal (or whatever you call it). However, most good hard rock bands seem to come out with a few really inspired pieces.

In the 90s you had some good Grunge bands (Nirvana, Soul Asylum), Alternative bands (REM, DMB) and just some good Rock (mostly from older bands that never die, like Maiden, Metallica but with some not too terrible newbies too.)

12. Aug 3, 2004 #11

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I remember Kris Kross with 'Jump' :eek:

13. Aug 3, 2004 #12

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh nooooo you did not! :uhh:

- Warren

14. Aug 3, 2004 #13

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

omg yes :rofl:
    btw on a note: I looked the lyrics up.. for the record :wink:

15. Aug 3, 2004 #14

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I remember it too, kinda like I remember the last time I went to the dentist.

Speaking of remembering, the was a decent number by Skidrow - was it called I Remember You ?

16. Aug 3, 2004 #15

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Now you're talking my language! Let's bring back the Power Ballad! YEAH!!!!

17. Aug 3, 2004 #16

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There were some of those too in the 90s : Poison, Mr. Big, Extreme, G'n'R, Scorpions(mostly 80's maybe)...others ?

18. Aug 3, 2004 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I had a math professor who argued that no good music has been written since 1791. He was absolutely serious.

19. Aug 3, 2004 #18

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But what about the romantic era? :cry:

20. Aug 3, 2004 #19
    ahhh... The dark side of the moon album... by pink floyd. :bugeye:

21. Aug 3, 2004 #20

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

90's music is by far superior then the 80's...one of my favorite songs that come to mind--trigger happy jack by Poe...what i would give to be able to seranade this to my ex :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?