Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Redoing a History Day board

1. Apr 27, 2004 #1
    I am in the process of redoing a History Day board for the state competition. Of coarse, I did mine on physics. I have a problem though. I'm stuck on 2 things.

1) A real life implication of something to do with Relativity (special of general).

2) Another picture I could put for LQG. Any ideas would be splended.

Paden Roder
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

1) From what I've heard, the GPS navigating system wouldn't work if it had been based solely on Newtonian mechanics.
    I'm not sure about this, though; it might be worth checking out nonetheless.
  4. Apr 27, 2004 #3

Science Advisor

1) Correct, GPS would not work without the clocks in the sattelites being built to run a little "fast". The speed of the moving sattelite means that time slows down for it, andf the clocks run at "normal" speed. At the speeds they go, if the sattelite's clock was off by just a fraction of a second, it would calculate its own position to be miles from where it actually was. That's special relativity. Without GR's more acurate predictions of gravity (and therefore orbital dynamics), The Mars Rovers, the Cassini rpobe to Saturn, and all our exploratory craft would go off course and miss there targets.

2) What is your current picture?
  5. Apr 27, 2004 #4
    Thanks guys, that works great.
    I have a picture of a tv (photoelectric cells) and rubber gloves (more particle physics than relativity.

What you guys said helps a lot. That's what I will use. Thanks.

Still open to comments on LQG implications.

Paden Roder
  6. Apr 28, 2004 #5

Science Advisor

LOL! no, no, no; I meant this;

What is your current picture? :biggrin:
  7. Apr 28, 2004 #6
    Sorry, my current picture consist of something that portrays a spin network. Really, it's just a psychedelic picture of space. That's why I'm open to suggestions.

Paden Roder
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?