1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Redox Equation Addition

1. Oct 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    OCl- is reacted with I- in acidic solution to generate I2.

The I2 generated is then titrated using a solution of Na2S2O3.

If you look at the sum of the two reactions above, information about S2O3- can be used to determine the amount of I2 and thus the amount of ClO-.

Give the relevant balanced equations for the titration of OCl- with S2O32-. Including all redox half reactions there are three.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I figured out the two equations. I think they are:
    OCl- + H2O + 2I- ---> Cl- + 2OH- + I2

I2 + 2S2O32- ---> 2I- + S4062-

Are those correct? Is it different because it's in acidic solution? The OH- make me think I did this in basic solution, but I'm not sure.

Then I added the two equations together to find:

OCl- + H2O + 2S2032- -----> Cl- + 2OH- + S4062-

If the last equation is correct, I don't see how that works. There's no I2 in the equation. The question says I need to go from thiosulfate ion, to I2, then to OCl-... hmm. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

OK with me.

At first approximation - nothing. Iodine is only an intermediate product, used to transfer electrons in a controlled manner, as reaction between hypochlorite and thiosulfate is a messy one, with numerous byproducts and dubious stoichiometry.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?