Can You Help Balance this Redox Equation for Homework?

In summary, the conversation involves balancing an equation and finding the correct coefficients. The attempt at a solution included a half reaction and an incorrect answer was given. The correct answer is 3 Co(s) + 8 H+(aq) + 8 NO3-(aq) → 3 Co2+(aq) + 6 NO3-(aq) + 2 NO(g) + 4 H2O(l), which involves removing NO3- from both sides and balancing the number of electrons.
vipertongn

Homework Statement

Balance the equation (Note: the coefficients provided may be wrong):
3 Co(s) + 8 H+(aq) + 8 NO3-(aq) → 3 Co2+(aq) + 6 NO3-(aq) + 2 NO(g) + 4 H2O(l)

The Attempt at a Solution

I started out by doing a half reaction

Co → Co 2+ +2e- This one I just added electrons to the appropriate side

I get stuck here, I tried just balancing the elements...
4e- +4H+ + 2NO3 - → NO3 - + NO + 2H2O

No matter how i look at it I don't know why i have this answer incorrect

the real answer is 3 Co(s) + 8 H+(aq) + 8 NO3-(aq) → 3 Co2+(aq) + 6 NO3-(aq) + 2 NO(g) + 4 H2O(l)

but i don't know how it came to that

Physics news on Phys.org
You have NO3- on both sides. Try to leave it only on the left.

yeah the "real answer" you have looks rather strange. It has NO3- on both sides.

Something looks wrong with this though

"4e- +4H+ + 2NO3 - → NO3 - + NO + 2H2O "

How did you arrive at 4 electrons?

1. What is a redox equation?

A redox equation is a type of chemical equation that shows the transfer of electrons between two substances during a chemical reaction. It involves the oxidation and reduction of reactants to form products.

2. Why is it important to balance redox equations?

Balancing redox equations is important because it ensures that the number of atoms and the charges are equal on both sides of the equation. This follows the law of conservation of mass and charge, which states that matter and charge cannot be created or destroyed in a chemical reaction.

3. How do you balance a redox equation?

The process of balancing a redox equation involves identifying the oxidizing and reducing agents, determining the oxidation numbers of each element, and using coefficients to balance the number of atoms and charges on both sides of the equation. It may also involve adding H+ or OH- ions and balancing them with H2O molecules.

4. What are the common methods used to balance redox equations?

The two common methods used to balance redox equations are the half-reaction method and the oxidation number method. The half-reaction method involves balancing the oxidation and reduction half-reactions separately and then combining them to form the overall balanced equation. The oxidation number method involves assigning oxidation numbers to each element and using them to determine the number of electrons transferred in the reaction.

5. Are there any tips for balancing redox equations?

Some tips for balancing redox equations include identifying the reactants and products, balancing atoms other than hydrogen and oxygen first, balancing oxygen by adding H2O molecules, balancing hydrogen by adding H+ ions, and checking the final equation to ensure that the number of atoms and charges are equal on both sides. It is also helpful to practice and familiarize oneself with the rules of oxidation numbers and the steps for balancing redox equations.