What is the correct net balanced equation for this redox reaction?

• Thread starter computerex
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Redox
In summary, you have a redox reaction where a substance is reduced (to silver) and an oxidized (to nitrate) substances are produced.
computerex
Hello guys. I have been a lurker at these forums for quite a while now, they are very helpful if you have run into a snag in your homework. :)

What I have here is a redox reaction, and I will be very grateful if someone could confirm my answers.

H+
Equation: Ag + (NO3-) -> (Ag+) + NO

Substance reduced : Nitrate
Substance oxidized : Silver
Half reaction for oxidation : Ag - > (Ag+) + (e-)
Half reaction for reduction: NO3- + (4H+) + (e-) -> 2H2O + NO
Net balanced equation : (NO3-) + (4H+) + Ag -> 2H2O + NO + (Ag+)
Reduced equation : (NO3-) + (4H+) + Ag -> 2H2O + NO + (Ag+)

I am particularly unsure of the net balanced equation. I know I am supposed to cancel out spectator ions, but I don't think any exist within this particular reaction. Please excuse any of my blunders, I am terrible at Chemistry. :(

Edit: Is there a way to remove forum formatting ? I had everything lined up neatly...

Physics news on Phys.org
Your nitrate half-reaction seems wrong. NO3- should have an "oxidation" state of +5, since the three oxygens contribute a -6; so unknown + (-6) = -1, the unknown for Nitrogen is +5. Your product of NO (nitrogen monoxide?) would yield a +2 for the Nitrogen. Nitrogen then changes from +5 to +2, a gain of 3 electrons.

You seem to have enough skill in balancing for the Hydrogens, the Oxygens, and the Waters, so you can restart from here.

Hmm. I must be mistaken, because I was under the impression that when balancing charges, only the sum of the net charge of all the molecules has to be taken.

For example, given this reaction:
8H+ + MnO4¯ ---> Mn (2+) + 4H2O

The left side of the equation would have a net charge of 7, as 8 hydrogen ions yield a charge of 8, plus -1 from permanganate. The right side would yield a charge of 2, with permanganate yielding 2 and the water molecules being neutral. So the charge decreases from 7 to 2, in other words, a gain of 5 electrons, making the balanced half reaction:

(5e-) + 8H+ + MnO4¯ ---> Mn (2+) + 4H2O

When applied to this:

(NO3-) -> NO
Balancing the oxygen:
(NO3-) -> NO + 2H2O
Balancing the hydrogen:
(4H+) + (NO3-) -> NO + 2H2O

The left side of the reaction has a net charge of 3, as 4 hydrogen ions yield a charge of +4, plus the -1 from nitrate. The right side is neutral, as the water molecules yield a charge of 0 and as oxygen in NO has a charge of -2, and 1x-2+unknown = 0 = 2, which cancel out to be 0. So the charge goes from 3 to 0, which means 3 electrons are gained:

(4H+) + (NO3-) + (3e-) -> NO + 2H2O

Is that correct?

computerex said:
(4H+) + (NO3-) + (3e-) -> NO + 2H2O

Is that correct?

That's OK. In your previous attempt charges were not balanced - you had +2 on the left, 0 on the right. Now it is zero on both sides.

Note that you don't need zero on both sides, you need identical charge on both sides. Could be 0 = 0, -2 = -2, +3 = +3 and so on. If it is not zero, you are just missing some spectators.

Borek said:
That's OK. In your previous attempt charges were not balanced - you had +2 on the left, 0 on the right. Now it is zero on both sides.

Ah yes, I realized that while I was re-doing the half reaction for nitrate. So factoring in the correct half reaction, I have this for the entire reaction. Can someone kindly confirm this?

3Ag + 4H + (NO3-) -> (3Ag+) + NO + 2H2O

OK

What is a redox equation?

A redox equation is a chemical equation that shows the transfer of electrons between two species. It is a way of representing a redox reaction, which is a chemical reaction where one species loses electrons (oxidation) and another species gains electrons (reduction).

What is the purpose of confirming a redox equation?

The purpose of confirming a redox equation is to ensure that it is balanced and accurately represents the reactants and products involved in the redox reaction. This is important in order to accurately predict the products of a reaction and understand the underlying chemistry.

How do you confirm a redox equation?

To confirm a redox equation, you must first balance the atoms and charges on both sides of the equation. This can be done by adding coefficients in front of each compound or molecule. Additionally, you must make sure that the number of electrons gained and lost is equal on both sides of the equation.

What is the difference between oxidation and reduction?

Oxidation is the process of losing electrons, while reduction is the process of gaining electrons. In a redox reaction, the species that is oxidized is called the reducing agent, and the species that is reduced is called the oxidizing agent.

Why is it important to understand redox equations?

Understanding redox equations is important in many areas of science, including chemistry, biology, and environmental science. Redox reactions play a crucial role in many natural processes, such as photosynthesis and respiration, and also in many industrial processes, such as the production of metals. Additionally, understanding redox reactions can help predict the behavior of chemicals and their potential impacts on the environment.