1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Redox equation: confirmation

1. Jul 28, 2008 #1
    Hello guys. I have been a lurker at these forums for quite a while now, they are very helpful if you have run into a snag in your homework. :)

What I have here is a redox reaction, and I will be very grateful if someone could confirm my answers.

H+
    Equation: Ag + (NO3-) -> (Ag+) + NO

Substance reduced : Nitrate
    Substance oxidized : Silver
    Half reaction for oxidation : Ag - > (Ag+) + (e-)
    Half reaction for reduction: NO3- + (4H+) + (e-) -> 2H2O + NO
    Net balanced equation : (NO3-) + (4H+) + Ag -> 2H2O + NO + (Ag+)
    Reduced equation : (NO3-) + (4H+) + Ag -> 2H2O + NO + (Ag+)

I am particularly unsure of the net balanced equation. I know I am supposed to cancel out spectator ions, but I don't think any exist within this particular reaction. Please excuse any of my blunders, I am terrible at Chemistry. :(

Edit: Is there a way to remove forum formatting ? I had everything lined up neatly...

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2008 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Your nitrate half-reaction seems wrong. NO3- should have an "oxidation" state of +5, since the three oxygens contribute a -6; so unknown + (-6) = -1, the unknown for Nitrogen is +5. Your product of NO (nitrogen monoxide?) would yield a +2 for the Nitrogen. Nitrogen then changes from +5 to +2, a gain of 3 electrons.

You seem to have enough skill in balancing for the Hydrogens, the Oxygens, and the Waters, so you can restart from here.

4. Jul 28, 2008 #3
    Hmm. I must be mistaken, because I was under the impression that when balancing charges, only the sum of the net charge of all the molecules has to be taken.

For example, given this reaction:
    8H+ + MnO4¯ ---> Mn (2+) + 4H2O

The left side of the equation would have a net charge of 7, as 8 hydrogen ions yield a charge of 8, plus -1 from permanganate. The right side would yield a charge of 2, with permanganate yielding 2 and the water molecules being neutral. So the charge decreases from 7 to 2, in other words, a gain of 5 electrons, making the balanced half reaction:

(5e-) + 8H+ + MnO4¯ ---> Mn (2+) + 4H2O

When applied to this:

(NO3-) -> NO
    Balancing the oxygen:
    (NO3-) -> NO + 2H2O
    Balancing the hydrogen:
    (4H+) + (NO3-) -> NO + 2H2O

The left side of the reaction has a net charge of 3, as 4 hydrogen ions yield a charge of +4, plus the -1 from nitrate. The right side is neutral, as the water molecules yield a charge of 0 and as oxygen in NO has a charge of -2, and 1x-2+unknown = 0 = 2, which cancel out to be 0. So the charge goes from 3 to 0, which means 3 electrons are gained:

(4H+) + (NO3-) + (3e-) -> NO + 2H2O

Is that correct?

5. Jul 28, 2008 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

That's OK. In your previous attempt charges were not balanced - you had +2 on the left, 0 on the right. Now it is zero on both sides.

Note that you don't need zero on both sides, you need identical charge on both sides. Could be 0 = 0, -2 = -2, +3 = +3 and so on. If it is not zero, you are just missing some spectators.

6. Jul 28, 2008 #5
    Ah yes, I realized that while I was re-doing the half reaction for nitrate. So factoring in the correct half reaction, I have this for the entire reaction. Can someone kindly confirm this?

3Ag + 4H + (NO3-) -> (3Ag+) + NO + 2H2O

7. Jul 28, 2008 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?