1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Redox equations balancing

1. Sep 26, 2005 #1
    hi all, my chemistry assignment had a bunch of questions on redox equations balancing. i got stuck on this one:

[tex] \CrI_{3} + KOH + \Cl_{2} \rightarrow \K_{2}CrO_{4} + \KIO_{4} + KCl + \H_{2}O [\tex]

so far, i tried to find ON numbers of the various elements.
    Cr changes from +3 to +6
    I changes from -1 to +7
    Cl changes from 0 to +1

this means that Cr and I undergo a loss of electrons, while Cl undergoes a gain. i dont know how to solve this question when there are multiple LEO.

can you help? =)

[ EDIT : my attempt at LATEX has proved to be yet another disaster ]
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2005 #2
    For your latex in the final tex it should be a FORWARD SLASH, not a backslash... thus the mess. Also you don't need a backslash to start off a new word. ANyway it look like this:

[tex] CrI_{3} + KOH + Cl_{2} \rightarrow K_{2}CrO_{4} + KIO_{4} + KCl + H_{2}O [/tex]

i suggest you break into half cells as follows
    [tex] CrI_{3} \rightarrow K_{2}CrO_{4} + KIO_{4}[/tex]
    [tex] KOH \rightarrow H_{2}O [/tex]
    [tex] Cl_{2} \rightarrow KCL [/tex]

Balance everything exotic (like K, Cr, I, Cl) first. Then follow the usual steps for half cells. I know it doesn't look like it will work.. but if you balance each half cell properly in temrs of charge and atoms yu should be fine
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?