1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Redox equations

1. Jan 6, 2004 #1

Balancing Redox equations (pg. 607-8)

Step 4: Make the total increase in oxidation number equal to the total decrease in oxidation number by using appropriate coefficients.
    Practice problem 10b.

KClO (s)==>KCl(aq) + O2(g)

When I did step 4 of this equation, I was unable to understand why and how the fraction 3/2 is put in front of the oxygen gas in the product side. And also why oxygen is chosen from all the other compounds to place the coefficient infront. I would like this point clarified because its been hindering me of comprehending and solving similar equations.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Would you please SHOW us the various steps so we will know what "step 4" is and perhaps be able to see where "3/2" comes in?

It should be clear that "KClO (s)==>KCl(aq) + O2(g)" is incorrect because the left hand side has only one oxygen atom while the right hand side has two.

It has been a long time since I did chemistry and I am not absolutely sure I remember what "oxidation numbers" are but it seems clear to me that the formula has to be
    2KClO (s)==>2KCl(aq) + O2(g)
    in order to balance the number of atoms on each side.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2004
  4. Jan 7, 2004 #3
    Thank you for responding and sorry for being unclear, I thought you might have the textbook I named within reach so that you would be able to review the section and the practice problems better. Anyways I typed out the Steps to the best of my ability, and if there is anything unclear tell me so.

Step 1: Assign oxidation numbers to all the atoms in the equation.

-1 +5 -2
    +1 -1 0
    increase(-2==>0) (OXIDATION)

Step 2: Identify which atoms are oxidized and which are reduced..

Look at the above example.

Step 3: Use a line to connect the atoms that undergo oxidation. Use a separate line to connect the atoms that undergo reduction.

I was unable to do it here, but if you revise the textbook I named you will find it done.

Step 4: Use appropriate coefficients to make the total increase in oxidation number equal to the total decrease in oxidation number.

Here is the difficulty
    Their answer is

Step 5: Do a final check to insure the equation is balanced for both atoms and charge.

The final answer:

Thanks again
  5. Jan 7, 2004 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, now I see MY difficulty at least!

Your original post said:
    KClO (s)==>KCl(aq) + O2(g)

NOT KClO3!!! Probably if it had not been so long since I took chemistry, I would have recognized that there is no such compound as "KClO" but that potassium chlorate is KClO3.

Okay, here's how I would "balance" that equation:

Since O2 has two oxygen atoms, if I multiply O2 by n, the right side will have 2n oxygen atoms. If I multiply the left side of the equation by m, there will be 3m oxygen atoms on the left: we must have 2n= 3m. Obviously, the simplest thing to do is take n=3, m= 2.

Given that we multiply the left side by 2, there are 2 potassium and 2 Chlorine atoms on the left and, to have that number on the right, I have to multiply KCl by 2:

2KClO3= 2KCl+ 3O2.

Although I am talking about atoms rather than "oxidation numbers", it works out to the same thing.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?