Redox Equilibrium Homework Solutions

In summary: IV.) When H3AsO4 and K4Fe(CN)6 are dissolved in water in a stoichiometric ratio, the ratio of [H3AsO4]/[H3AsO3] at equilibrium can be calculated using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation. If the pH is maintained at 2.00, the ratio can be calculated as follows: [H3AsO4]/[H3AsO3] = 10^(pH - pKa) = 10^(2.00 - 2.12) = 0.88.V.) The equilibrium concentrations of [H3AsO4], [H3AsO3], [I3-], and [I
Big-Daddy

Homework Statement

I.) Give an estimate for the stability constant of the complex [FeCl]2+, given that the standard redox potential for the Fe3+/Fe2+ system in 1 moldm-3 HCl is 0.710 V.

The "standard electrode potential of the reaction Fe3+ + e- -> Fe2+" (quote from the question) had previously been calculated as 0.772 V but I myself cannot see how this should be different just because 1 moldm-3 HCl is present.

IV.) H3AsO4 and K4Fe(CN)6 are dissolved in water in a stoichiometric ratio. What will the ratio of [H3AsO4]/[H3AsO3] be at equilibrium if pH = 2.00 is maintained?

V.) Are the following equilibrium concentrations possible in an aqueous solution? If yes, calculate the pH of the solution. [H3AsO4]=[H3AsO3]=[I3-]=[I-]=0.100 M (where on Earth does the I3- come from?!)

Available data: [Fe(CN)6]3-/[Fe(CN)6]4- has E° = +0.356 V. H3AsO4/H3AsO3 has E° = +0.560 V. I2/2 I- has E° = +0.540 V.

Homework Equations

ΔG°(rxn) = -n(rxn) * F * E°(rxn) = - R * T * ln(K(rxn))

The Attempt at a Solution

My thinking was that we need the value of K for reaction H3ASO4 + 2H+ + 2e- -> H3AsO3 + H2O. This can easily be found from the value of the standard electrode potential for this reaction itself. Then take the inverse, before dividing by [H+]2=10-4. I got 1.17*10-15, but the correct answer is 0.107. For the next question, I soon as I saw I3- instead of I2 I was defeated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help greatly appreciated!I.) The stability constant of the complex [FeCl]2+ can be estimated using the standard reduction potential of the Fe3+/Fe2+ reaction. The standard reduction potential for this reaction in 1 moldm-3 HCl is 0.710 V. The standard reduction potential for the reaction Fe3+ + e- -> Fe2+ is 0.772 V. Using this value, we can estimate the stability constant of the complex [FeCl]2+ as follows:K = exp(-ΔG°/RT) = exp(-nFΔE°/RT) = exp(-1 * 96485 * (0.772 - 0.710)/(8.314 * 298)) = 3.37 x 10^4

1. What is redox equilibrium?

Redox equilibrium refers to the balance between oxidation and reduction reactions in a chemical system. In other words, it is the state in which the rates of oxidation and reduction reactions are equal, resulting in no overall change in the concentrations of oxidizing and reducing agents.

2. How is redox equilibrium affected by concentration and temperature?

The position of redox equilibrium is affected by the concentrations of the reactants and products, as well as the temperature. An increase in concentration of a reactant will shift the equilibrium towards the product side, while an increase in temperature will favor the endothermic reaction (the one that absorbs heat) and shift the equilibrium towards the reactant side.

3. What is the significance of redox equilibrium in biological systems?

Redox equilibrium is crucial in biological systems as it allows for the controlled release of energy through oxidation-reduction reactions. These reactions are key in cellular respiration, photosynthesis, and many other essential processes in living organisms.

4. How is redox equilibrium calculated?

The equilibrium constant, K, is used to calculate the position of redox equilibrium. It is determined by dividing the concentration of products by the concentration of reactants, each raised to the power of their respective stoichiometric coefficients. The value of K can then be compared to determine whether the equilibrium favors the reactant or product side.

5. How can redox equilibrium be shifted to favor a certain reaction?

Redox equilibrium can be shifted by changing the concentrations of reactants and products, adjusting the temperature, or altering the pH of the solution. Additionally, a catalyst can be used to increase the rate of a specific reaction and shift the equilibrium towards the desired product.