1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Redox equilibrium

1. Aug 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I.) Give an estimate for the stability constant of the complex [FeCl]2+, given that the standard redox potential for the Fe3+/Fe2+ system in 1 moldm-3 HCl is 0.710 V.

The "standard electrode potential of the reaction Fe3+ + e- -> Fe2+" (quote from the question) had previously been calculated as 0.772 V but I myself cannot see how this should be different just because 1 moldm-3 HCl is present.

IV.) H3AsO4 and K4Fe(CN)6 are dissolved in water in a stoichiometric ratio. What will the ratio of [H3AsO4]/[H3AsO3] be at equilibrium if pH = 2.00 is maintained?

V.) Are the following equilibrium concentrations possible in an aqueous solution? If yes, calculate the pH of the solution. [H3AsO4]=[H3AsO3]=[I3-]=[I-]=0.100 M (where on earth does the I3- come from?!)

Available data: [Fe(CN)6]3-/[Fe(CN)6]4- has E° = +0.356 V. H3AsO4/H3AsO3 has E° = +0.560 V. I2/2 I- has E° = +0.540 V.

2. Relevant equations

ΔG°(rxn) = -n(rxn) * F * E°(rxn) = - R * T * ln(K(rxn))

3. The attempt at a solution

My thinking was that we need the value of K for reaction H3ASO4 + 2H+ + 2e- -> H3AsO3 + H2O. This can easily be found from the value of the standard electrode potential for this reaction itself. Then take the inverse, before dividing by [H+]2=10-4. I got 1.17*10-15, but the correct answer is 0.107. For the next question, I soon as I saw I3- instead of I2 I was defeated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?