What are the oxidizing and reducing agents in this redox reaction?

In summary, the reaction between H2SO4 (aq) and 2HI (aq) results in the formation of SO2 (g), I2 (s), and 2H2O (l). The reducing agent is H2SO4, as sulfur gains electrons and is being oxidized. The oxidizing agent is HI, as it loses electrons and is being reduced. However, assigning oxidation numbers to molecules is not possible, only to individual atoms. Therefore, HI does not have an assigned oxidation number.
sami23
H2SO4 (aq) + 2HI (aq) --> SO2 (g) + I2 (s) + 2H2O (l)

Indicate the oxidizing and reducing agents.
-----------------------------------------------------
I started by assigning oxidation numbers to all the atoms:
H=+1
O=-2
S=+6 to +4
I=-2 to 0

I think H2SO4 is the reducing agent and 2HI is the oxidizing agent. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
SO4 oxidizes HI to I2. But what is the reducing agent and are my oxidation numbers for the atoms correct?

Sulfur gained electrons, and is being oxidized. thus, your reducing agent is H2SO4. I Lost electrons, and thus HI is the oxidizing agent.

this is assuming your oxidation numbers are correct which if i am not mistaken your'e "I" is -1? "H 1+" "I -1" "HI 0"

Grogerian said:
Sulfur gained electrons, and is being oxidized.

OIL - oxidation is loss

I Lost electrons, and thus HI is the oxidizing agent.

RIG - reduction is gain.

this is assuming your oxidation numbers are correct which if i am not mistaken your'e "I" is -1? "H 1+" "I -1" "HI 0"

You can't assign ON to molecule, only to atoms, thus HI doesn't have ON, just (neutral) charge.

sami23 said:
I=-2 to 0

For that you will need H2+. No such animal.

1. What is a redox reaction?

A redox reaction, short for reduction-oxidation reaction, is a type of chemical reaction in which there is a transfer of electrons between two species. One species, called the reducing agent, loses electrons and is oxidized, while the other species, called the oxidizing agent, gains electrons and is reduced.

2. How do I balance a redox reaction?

To balance a redox reaction, you must first identify which species are being oxidized and reduced. Then, balance the atoms in each half-reaction by adding coefficients to the reactants and products. Finally, balance the charge on each half-reaction by adding electrons. The number of electrons lost in the oxidation half-reaction should equal the number of electrons gained in the reduction half-reaction.

3. What is the purpose of a redox reaction?

Redox reactions serve a variety of purposes, including energy production, synthesis of compounds, and maintaining the balance of electrons in biological systems. They are important in many industrial processes, such as the production of metals and the purification of water.

4. How do I identify the oxidizing and reducing agents in a redox reaction?

The oxidizing agent is the species that is reduced, meaning it gains electrons, while the reducing agent is the species that is oxidized, meaning it loses electrons. One way to identify these agents is to look at the change in oxidation states of each species. The species with a higher oxidation state after the reaction is the oxidizing agent, and the species with a lower oxidation state is the reducing agent.

5. Can a redox reaction occur in a single solution?

Yes, a redox reaction can occur in a single solution. This is known as a disproportionation reaction, where a species is both oxidized and reduced within the same reaction. An example of this is the reaction of chlorine gas with water, producing both hydrochloric acid and hypochlorous acid.