Redox Reaction: Adding Excess Acidified KMnO4 to Ammonium Iron(II) Sulfate

In summary, excess acidified potassium permanganate, a strong oxidizing agent, is added dropwise to an ammonium iron(II) sulfate solution. This results in the reduction of potassium permanganate to manganese ions and the oxidation of iron(II) to iron(III) ions, as shown in the equation MnO4^- + 8H+ + 5e^- -> Mn^2+ + 4H2O.
danago
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Excess acidified potassium permanganate is added dropwise to an ammonium iron(II) sulfate solution. Write an overall redox equation for this process.

2. The attempt at a solution
Well I am not really sure what to do. I don't know what products are being formed. What should i do in a situation like this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with a balanced equation. Were you given the rules to follow for a redox reaction?

What is the one thing that you neeed to know about potassium permanganate?

How do i write a balanaced equation though? I don't know what the products are

Gokul43201 said:
What is the one thing that you neeed to know about potassium permanganate?

Its soluble in water?

Lots of things are soluble in water.

I quote from the first paragraph of the wiki on potassium permanganate:

Potassium permanganate is the chemical compound KMnO4. In this salt, manganese is in the +7 oxidation state. The salt is also known as "permanganate of potash" and "Condy's crystals". The permanganate ion is a strong oxidizing agent. It dissolves in water to give deep purple solutions, evaporation of which gives prismatic purple-black glistening crystals. It has a sweet taste and is odourless.

Ok, so its an oxidising agent, and therefore, itself reduced. I think this is the correct equation for its reduction:

[tex]
MnO_4 ^ - _{(aq)} + 8H^ + _{(aq)} + 5e^ - \to Mn^{2 + } _{(aq)} + 4H_2 O_{(l)}
[/tex]

Would i just combine that with the half equation of iron (II) being oxidised to iron (III) ions?

Yup, you got it! :approve:

Ahh ok. Thanks :)

1. What is a redox reaction?

A redox reaction is a type of chemical reaction where there is a transfer of electrons between reactants, resulting in the oxidation of one substance and the reduction of another substance.

2. Why is KMnO4 used in this reaction?

KMnO4, or potassium permanganate, is a strong oxidizing agent. It is used in this reaction to oxidize the iron(II) ions in ammonium iron(II) sulfate to iron(III) ions.

3. What does adding excess acidified KMnO4 do in this reaction?

Adding excess acidified KMnO4 ensures that there is enough oxidizing agent to fully oxidize all of the iron(II) ions present in the ammonium iron(II) sulfate. The excess KMnO4 also helps to maintain an acidic environment, which is necessary for the reaction to occur.

4. How does the color change during this reaction?

At the beginning of the reaction, the ammonium iron(II) sulfate solution is colorless. As the iron(II) ions are oxidized to iron(III) ions, the solution turns a pale yellow color. When all of the iron(II) ions have been oxidized, the solution will turn a dark brown color due to the presence of excess KMnO4.

5. What is the purpose of using ammonium iron(II) sulfate in this reaction?

Ammonium iron(II) sulfate, also known as Mohr's salt, is used as the reducing agent in this reaction. It provides the iron(II) ions that are necessary for the KMnO4 to oxidize. It also helps to maintain the acidic environment needed for the reaction to occur.