Writing the Full Equation of Acidified KMnO4 & KI

• Thread starter new hand
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Writing
In summary, the full equation of acidified potassium permanganate and potassium iodide is 2 KMnO4 + 16 HCl + 10 KI --> 2 MnCl2 + 8 H2O + 5 I2. However, it is not always necessary to write out the full equation as it rarely matters. The equation can be balanced by adding counterions on the left side to make the solution electrically neutral and copying those counterions on the right side. In this case, there was a typo in the original equation, but after correcting it, the equation is balanced.
new hand
I want to ask what is the full equation of acidified potassium permanganate and potassium iodide?

I have worked out the ionic equation...

2 MnO4- + 16 H+ + 10I- --> 2Mn2+ + 8H2O + 5I2-

How to write the full equation??

THanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
There is a typo - "-" at teh end of teh reaction equation (but otherwise it is OK).

new hand said:
How to write the full equation??

I don't think it is always possible (and actually rarely matters). In general - add counterions on the left side to make the solution electrically neutral (so start with KMnO4, HCl and KI), copy counterions on the right, try to pair them with anions on the right.

Your equation isn't balanced.
Can you work out its half-reactions?

war485 said:
Your equation isn't balanced.

It is balanced, it just contains a typo.

If it is not balanced - please tell us what is wrong.

ah yes sorry, it is balanced when the - on I2 is removed. I have nothing more to add.

1. What is the full equation for acidified KMnO4 and KI?

The full equation for acidified KMnO4 and KI is:
2KMnO4 + 10KI + 8H2SO4 → 5I2 + 2MnSO4 + 8H2O + K2SO4

2. What is the purpose of acidifying KMnO4 and KI?

The purpose of acidifying KMnO4 and KI is to create a more acidic environment, which helps to speed up the reaction between the two compounds.

3. What is the role of KMnO4 in this equation?

KMnO4 is the oxidizing agent in this equation, meaning it causes the other compound, KI, to lose electrons and become oxidized.

4. What is the role of KI in this equation?

KI is the reducing agent in this equation, meaning it causes the other compound, KMnO4, to gain electrons and become reduced.

5. How does the concentration of each compound affect the reaction?

The concentration of each compound can affect the reaction rate. Higher concentrations of KMnO4 and KI will result in a faster reaction, while lower concentrations will result in a slower reaction. However, the ratio of KMnO4 to KI must remain constant for the reaction to occur.