1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Redox reactions - general question

1. Jun 2, 2008 #1
    Redox reactions can take place in both acid or basic solutions, that I know. But, what if the type of solution in which the reaction occurs is not given? Am I to assume it is acid or basic?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2008 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Better start with neutral.

If in doubt you may try to balance knowing that in general oxidizers like MnO4- or CrO4-2 (Cr2O7-2) are effecitve in low pH, Cl2, ClO- - in basic. But then MnO4- works in basic (it gets reduced to MnO4-2), in neutral (MnO2) and acidic (Mn2+), so this approach can require additional information.

4. Jun 2, 2008 #3
    Thank you. That definately helps. But, where would I be able to find what certain substances reduce to? That would be a huge help.

5. Jun 2, 2008 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Permanganate you already know, chromate or dichromate goes to Cr+3, chlorine (bromine, iodine) to Cl-. These are most common, others require more experience - and the only more or less sure method of finding out products is to check redox potentials in tables. But even that can be misleading.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?