Investigating the Stoichiometry of Reactions 1 & 2

In summary, the conversation discusses two reactions, reaction 1 and reaction 2, which involve the conversion of Cl2 and S2O3^(2-) to I2 and S4O6(2-), respectively. The question is raised about the number of moles of I2 in reaction 2 compared to the number of moles of S2O3^(2-), to which the other person suggests checking the electron count and referencing the Wikipedia article on thiosulfate. The person asking the question then realizes their mistake and thanks the other for their help.
Kolika28
Cl2(g) + 2I–(aq) -->I2(aq) + 2Cl–(aq) (reaction 1)
[2S2O3^(2-)(aq) + I2(aq) --> S4O6(2-)(aq) + 2I–(aq) (reaction 2)

Why isn't n(I2)(reaction 2)=2n(S2O3^(2-))(reaction 2). I don't see why this is wrong.

<edit: remove size and italics>

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Kolika28 said:
Cl2(g) + 2I–(aq) -->I2(aq) + 2Cl–(aq) (reaction 1)
2S2O3^(2-)(aq) + I2(aq) --> S4O6(2-)(aq) + 2I–(aq) (reaction 2)

Why isn't n(I2)(reaction 2)=2n(S2O3^(2-))(reaction 2). I don't see why this is wrong.
Your second equation as you showed is correct. Not sure what confuses you. Did you check the electrons count? I did not check carefully myself, but your "reaction 2" is the same (except for typesetting) as shown in the wikipedia article for "thiosulfate". Atoms there seem to balance and half-reaction electrons seem to be right.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiosulfate

Ohh, I found it out now.Thank you so much for your help:)

1. What is stoichiometry?

Stoichiometry is the study of the quantitative relationships between reactants and products in a chemical reaction. It involves using balanced chemical equations to determine the amount of each substance needed to produce a certain amount of product.

2. What is the purpose of investigating the stoichiometry of reactions 1 & 2?

The purpose of investigating the stoichiometry of reactions 1 & 2 is to understand the specific ratios of reactants and products in these reactions. This information is important for predicting the amount of product that will be formed and for optimizing the reaction conditions.

3. How do you determine the stoichiometry of a reaction?

The stoichiometry of a reaction can be determined by balancing the chemical equation and using the coefficients to determine the mole ratios of reactants and products. This allows for the calculation of the amount of each substance needed or produced in the reaction.

4. What factors can affect the stoichiometry of a reaction?

The stoichiometry of a reaction can be affected by changes in temperature, pressure, and concentration of reactants. The presence of catalysts or inhibitors can also alter the stoichiometry of a reaction.

5. How can the stoichiometry of a reaction be used in practical applications?

The stoichiometry of a reaction is used in various practical applications such as in the production of medicines, fuels, and other industrial products. It is also used in environmental monitoring and in understanding the chemistry of biological processes.