1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Redox Titrations Bleach! help

1. Jan 17, 2012 #1
    Redox Titrations Bleach! help!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An unknown metal hypochlorite salt, M(ClO)2, is subjected to analysis by iodometric titration: the salt is dissolved in dilute sulfuric acid, treated with excess aqueous KI, and then titrated with Na2S2O3 in the same manner as your experiment. The unknown metal ion (M2+) is completely unreactive in the titration. However, all of hypochlorite ion bondd to the metal reacts completely with Na2S2O3. Iodemetric titration of an acidified 0.0499 g sample of M(ClO)2 required 28.42 ml of 0.05521 mol/L Na2S2O3 to reach the equivalence point. What is the identity of metal M?

2. Relevant equations
    IO3^- + 5I^- + 6H^+ → 3I2 + 3H20
    I2 + 2S2O3^2- → 2I^- + S4O6^2-
    ClO^- + 2I^- + 2H^+ → I2 + Cl^- + H20

3. The attempt at a solution
    So far all I have is the number of moles for Na2S2O3 = 0.001569 mol
    I have no idea where to go from there! please help

ALSO one more question

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A sample of Au(ClO)3 is contaminated with LiClO. An acidified 0.2000 g sample of this mixture is treated with excess sodium iodide and subjected to iodometric titration. The sample requires 48.24 mL of 0.08893 mol/L Na2S2O3 to reach the equivalence point. Assuming that the Au^3+ and Li^+ ions are unreactive during the titration, determine the mass percent of LiClO in the sample.

2. Relevant equations

All the equations used in the first question!

3. The attempt at a solution
    Only moles so far. =0.004289 mol

Pleae help. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Re: Redox Titrations Bleach! help!!

User stoichiometry to find out how many moles of ClO- were present in the sample of the given mass, then use this information to find out molar mass of the metal.

4. Jan 18, 2012 #3

okay that sounds easy enough, I think the main problem I have is not knowing what equation to use. Or do I set up my own stoichiometric equation adding M(ClO)2. and if I do, how do I go about doing that? Thanks!

5. Jan 18, 2012 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Forget about using "equations", think about it as just another stoichiometry problem.

All titrations are nothing more but a simple stoichiometry. You know moles of this, you have to calculate corresponding moles of the other.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook