1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Redrawing resistor circuit

1. Feb 25, 2013 #1
    Hello, I am a new member, just signed up, I have browsed the forums for a bit and have always found some great info here...Today I have a question that I worked through, but really wanted a confirmation that I am on the correct path.
    I attached a redrawing of a resistor circuit, if it is not correct any direction would be appreciated.

I am specifically looking at the area (ABC) in the drawing and wondering if I have consolidated the resistors correctly at that point.

Thank you

I hope the scan is legible enough.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2013 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello moto30. Welcome to PF !

The second and third circuits are equivalent to the first.

After that there are errors.

The 4 Ω resistor is not in series with the 6 Ω resistor. You can't combine them like that.

In you first circuit, you have two points labeled c . You can split the left-hand one in two so that in the second and third circuits, the wires from the 10 Ω & 6 Ω resistors extend all the way down to the lower horizontal wire.

4. Feb 25, 2013 #3
    Thank You for the reply.

So once I extend the 10Ω and the 6Ω resistor to the horizontal line. would I just combine the 6Ω,5Ω, and 19Ω in parallel (which would be 2.38Ω); then add the 2.38Ω in series with the 4Ω and finally the last two in parallel?

5. Feb 25, 2013 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. That's right.

6. Feb 25, 2013 #5
    Great! Thank you again..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted