Does the Zeeman Effect Alter Clock Rates in Different Magnetic Fields?

In summary, the experiment was intended to measure gravitational redshift, but it was found that clocks tick at different rates in different B fields. This does not imply that clocks are malfunctioning due to magnetic fields.
cragar
Lets say we emit a photon from the ground out towards the sky , and as the photon travels away from Earth it gets red-shifted . In stead of canceling the shift by using the Doppler effect like they did in the pound-rebka experiment , we use the zeeman effect to alter the
discrete energy levels of the electron orbiting the atom so that the atom will absorb the photon after the red-shift , and we assume the original photon at ground level was emitted from an atom that had a difference in energy from n=2 to n=1 , and then we cancel the shift with the zeeman effect so that the photon will excite the atom after the shift from n=1 to n=2 .
Would this imply that clocks tick at different rates in different B fields . Excluding the gravitational effect from the B field . Or am i missing something here .

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on where the second atom is located . Two different phenomena may cause
red shift.

Would this imply that clocks tick at different rates in different B fields .
And pendulum clocks tick at different rates in different g-fields, and quartz clocks in different temperatures. That's not the point.
The point is: if you have controlled experimental conditions (same B/E field, same gravitational acceleration, same temperature and everything the same to sufficient accuracy), and you still get different rates, then that's time dilation. Time dilation is different from broken clocks in that it independent of local physical circumstances, and affects all clocks exactly the same way.

good point , but clocks would tick at different rates in different B fields because they have energy , and this energy would cause space to bend .

good point , but clocks would tick at different rates in different B fields because they have energy , and this energy would cause space to bend .
You sure that's what you wanted to say? Clocks have energy, bend space, and thus tick at different rates in different B fields? Doesn't make much sense.

the B field has energy is what i meant to say , i worded it poorly .

Ok. Energy curves spacetime, therefore time dilation.
But, I repeat, the important point is: It doesn't make a difference whether or not there is a B-field at the location of the clocks. You could have EM fields some 1000 km away and still have time dilation.

So all this does not imply that clocks tick at different rates in different B fields.

but the B field will create a gravitational field , and we will at least have gravitational time dilation. And i thought i understood the pound-rebka experiment but from what you said above , why does the test verify gravitational time-dilation .

but the B field will create a gravitational field , and we will at least have gravitational time dilation
Yes.
And i thought i understood the pound-rebka experiment but from what you said above , why does the test verify gravitational time-dilation .
I don't know what you want to ask here. The experiment was intended to measure gravitational redshift. Redshift between static observers is equivalent to time dilation. Time dilation has nothing to do with clock malfunction due to magnetic fields.

I'd expect that the gravitational effects of the magnetic field used in a Zeeman effect setup are much weaker than the Earth's gravitational field, which the Pound-Rebka experiment uses. Try calculating the energy stored in, say, a 1-tesla field that occupies a volume of 1 m^3, and compare it to the energy equivalent of the Earth's mass.

Ich said:
I don't know what you want to ask here. The experiment was intended to measure gravitational redshift. Redshift between static observers is equivalent to time dilation. Time dilation has nothing to do with clock malfunction due to magnetic fields.
ok i understand that time-dilation has nothing to do with B fields now , magnetic fields would have to interact with photons for that to happen and they do not , Thanks for you responses .

magnetic fields would have to interact with photons for that to happen
That's irrelevant. Example:
Code:
BBBB
BBBB    1 ------- 2
BBBB
See the fat B-field to the left? It is responsible for time dilation (redshift) between clocks 1 and 2. The '-' depict photons going between 1 and 2.
There is no B-field at 1,2, or -. Therefore it is irrelevant how B-fields interact with 1,2, or -.
And it doesn't matter if there's a B-field to the left or any other form of mass or energy in suitable amounts. The effect is the same.

even if a B field would cause a photon to be red-shifted , and red-shifted from the magnetic interaction , which does not happen obviously , there would be no time dilation.

1. What is redshift and how does it relate to the expansion of the universe?

Redshift is a phenomenon observed in the light from distant objects, where the wavelength of the light appears longer than expected. This is due to the expansion of the universe, which causes the light to stretch as it travels through space, resulting in a longer wavelength.

2. How is redshift used to measure the distance of galaxies?

Redshift is used as a measure of the distance of galaxies because it is directly related to the speed at which the galaxy is moving away from us. The greater the redshift, the faster the galaxy is moving away, and therefore the further it is from us.

3. What is the difference between redshift and blueshift?

Redshift is the phenomena where light appears to have a longer wavelength, while blueshift is the opposite, where light appears to have a shorter wavelength. Redshift is caused by objects moving away from us, while blueshift is caused by objects moving towards us.

4. What is the Zeeman effect and how does it relate to redshift?

The Zeeman effect is the splitting of spectral lines in the presence of a magnetic field. This effect can be used to measure the strength of a magnetic field in a distant object, such as a star or galaxy. It does not directly relate to redshift, but it is a useful tool in studying the properties of objects with redshift.

5. Can redshift be used to determine the age of the universe?

Yes, redshift can be used to determine the age of the universe by measuring the redshift of the oldest objects in the universe, such as the most distant galaxies. By knowing the rate of expansion of the universe, the redshift can be used to calculate the age of the universe.