Redshift at recombination

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the redshift at which the number density of photons capable of ionizing hydrogen is equal to the number density of baryons. The proposed solution involves using the number density of baryons, the temperature of the CMB, and blackbody radiation to equate the two densities. However, concerns are raised about not fully utilizing the information about blackbody radiation and the temperature of the CMB. The conversation then suggests considering the number density of photons with energies greater than the ionization energy of hydrogen in a blackbody at a given temperature to address these concerns.
utopiaNow

Homework Statement

We are to assume the recombination happens at redshift [tex]z_{rec}[/tex] when the number density of photons [tex] n_{\gamma}(z_{rec}) [/tex] capable of ionizing hydrogen is exactly equal to the number density of baryons [tex] n_{b}(z_{rec}) [/tex]. Use the measured number density of baryons, the temperature of the CMB and the blackbody radiation to find out at what redshift [tex]z_{rec}[/tex] we have [tex] n_{\gamma}(z_{rec}) = n_{b}(z_{rec}). [/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution
Sorry I don't have time to write in detail what I have so far. But basically I come down to [tex] \Omega_{\gamma}E_{bary} \over hf_{mean}\Omega_{bary} [/tex] [tex]= 1 [/tex]

However this doesn't make use of blackbody radation, or the temperature of the CMB, if I'm supposed to equate [tex] \Omega_{\gamma} [/tex] to Temperature of the CMB, then I'm not sure how to do that step.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Forget cosmology for a while.

If [itex]E_I[/itex] is the ionization energy of hydrogen, any photon with energy greater than [itex]E_I[/itex] can ionize hydrogen. Now consider a blackbody at temperature [itex]T[/itex]. What is the number density for photons with energies greater than [itex]E_I[/itex]?

Last edited:

1. What is redshift at recombination?

Redshift at recombination refers to the phenomenon where light from the early universe is shifted towards longer wavelengths due to the expansion of the universe. It is the result of the cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation being emitted when the universe was around 380,000 years old.

2. How is redshift at recombination measured?

Redshift at recombination is measured by observing the CMB radiation and analyzing its spectrum. The redshift is determined by comparing the observed wavelengths of the radiation to the expected wavelengths based on the known properties of hydrogen atoms in the early universe.

3. What does redshift at recombination tell us about the universe?

The redshift at recombination provides evidence for the expansion of the universe, as well as the age and composition of the early universe. It also supports the Big Bang theory, as the redshift is consistent with the predicted rate of expansion.

4. How does redshift at recombination relate to the cosmic microwave background?

The redshift at recombination is the reason why the cosmic microwave background appears as a redshifted radiation today. This radiation is the leftover heat from the early universe and is a key piece of evidence for the Big Bang theory.

5. Can redshift at recombination change over time?

No, the redshift at recombination is a constant value that does not change over time. This is because it is a result of the expansion of the universe, which is a continuous process. However, the observed redshift may change due to the relative motion between the observer and the source of the radiation.