What Does a Redshift Calculation of 2.5 Mean?

In summary: I'll have to learn how to use it.In summary, the conversation revolved around the concept of redshift and its calculation. The participants discussed the different hypotheses regarding the nature of the universe and its effect on redshift. They also explored various methods of calculating redshift, including the simple Z = v/c formula and the more complex relativistic version. The conversation concluded with a mention of the useful Jing software for taking notes and recording videos.
eggman100
I have my answer of the doppler shifting as 2.5 meaning redshift,
but what does this mean, 2.5 what? if its 2.5 'units' then how can I work out the speed of the object going from my Stationary position?

it's all nice knowing for example my object could be going at 0.1m under the speed of light but i want to know if it's possible to work out the speed of the object using observable red shift?

anyone know?

Thanks =)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshift

z = emitted frequency / observed frequency - 1

So unless I've made a careless error, the observed frequency is slower by a factor of 3.5.

If you want to find the velocity see attached.

Attachments

• redshift problem.PNG
    redshift problem.PNG
    22.2 KB · Views: 504
I did not read all of #2, but starting with that relativistic Doppler version is the way to go.

Last edited:
I just noticed under the Wikipedia link provided above that the actual relativistic Doppler shift {see the "Redshift Summary table} apparently applies to flat Minkowski space, not our universe...via the FLRW model ...so what's different between the two redshift calculations?

There are two different hypotheses regarding the nature of the universe, and the Big Bang. One is that redshift is caused predominantly by recession velocity. The other is that redshift is caused by a difference in the "scale factor" of space.

The second hypothesis more-or-less derives from the (probably reasonable) assumption that we occupy no special place in the universe (i.e. the cosmological principle) and from the seemingly reasonable premise that "if the universe is everywhere isotropic, it must be everywhere homogeneous." For the universe to be homogeneous and growing over time, the concept of recession doesn't quite work right.

So in the late 20's or early 30's Eddington introduced an idea of stretching space, and we've been stuck with it, ever since.

yes, I agree with your explanation...
but how does one calculate the velocity as in the above example in the FRW model?? It never occurred to me previosuly that the Doppler calculation was for flat spacetime...I never thought about it...

As I understand it, the scale factor is unique to the FRW model, and found some aspects of it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedmann-Lemaître-Robertson-Walker_metric

All I understand so far is that the scale factor is a non uniform one wrsp to time...
Thanks.

Naty1 said:
yes, I agree with your explanation...
but how does one calculate the velocity as in the above example in the FRW model?? It never occurred to me previosuly that the Doppler calculation was for flat spacetime...I never thought about it...

As I understand it, the scale factor is unique to the FRW model, and found some aspects of it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedmann-Lemaître-Robertson-Walker_metric

All I understand so far is that the scale factor is a non uniform one wrsp to time...
Thanks.

Here, I'll summarize a little bit about what I know about it. I recently got a writing pad and heard about this Jing software. It's kind of nice, for a change, since I can't read my own notes most of the time, I could watch these videos and actually remember what in the world I was doing.

http://screencast.com/t/PTSKqy01uNVI
Looking up the FLRW metric on Wikipedia, I "imagine" that dSIGMA is sort of a volume element, then scroll down to the definition of dSIGMA, and find it's sort of a modified form of a volume element. I'm not entirely confident in the concept of "Reduced circumference." An aside about the tangent function.

http://screencast.com/t/gnazhwpw5hFU
Trying to convert dSIGMA from spherical into cartesian Coordinates. (I'm not well-practiced at differential equations, by the way, so I'm not entirely sure this approach will get you very far). derivatives of arc-cosine and arc-tangents found at: http://www.themathpage.com/acalc/inverse-trig.htm. This video starts the problem but doesn't finish it.

http://screencast.com/t/ui4UQ63mhvn
I remembered that when I've tried this problem before, I was converting from cartesian-to-spherical, which may be easier to do, but still quite time-consuming. Again, this video only starts the problem. It would take much longer than five minutes to do the whole thing.

http://screencast.com/t/apU5PpGn
Here are Einstein Field Equations, and two solutions to it; the FLRW metric, and the Schwarzschild metric, Coefficients in front of dr^2 and dt^2. Effect of setting k=0 and a(t)=1 in the FLRW metric. This video asks a couple of questions that I really never have figured out. (1) how can you plug these metrics into the EFE's and actually see that they are "solutions" and (2) How can you have a function of r as a coefficient of the dr^2 term, and still be a homogeneous metric?

eggman100 said:
I have my answer of the doppler shifting as 2.5 meaning redshift,
but what does this mean, 2.5 what? if its 2.5 'units' then how can I work out the speed of the object going from my Stationary position?

it's all nice knowing for example my object could be going at 0.1m under the speed of light but i want to know if it's possible to work out the speed of the object using observable red shift?

anyone know?

Thanks =)

Redshift is dimensionless since redshift by definition is : Observed velocity of an object / speed of light = ms^-1 / ms^-1 = 'n' integer , redshift tells us of the validity of Hubble's law. One can even define scale factor (cosmology) in terms of the redshift.

There are many variations of redshift formula :
Z = v/c is the simplest of all , for speeds << 1 .
On the other hand when you have redshift >>1, such as quark jets then we use the relativistic version (i think though I could be wrong since their apparent speed formula is different) :
Z = [itex]\sqrt{[1+v/c ]/[ 1-v/c]}[/itex]

EDIT: Thanks Jdoolin for your informative post.

Last edited:
I have more work to do on this myself, but that Jing software is cool...

1. How is redshift calculated?

Redshift is calculated by measuring the shift in the wavelength of light emitted from a distant object compared to the wavelength of that same light emitted from a stationary object. This shift is caused by the Doppler effect, which occurs when the source of light is moving away from the observer. The amount of redshift is then used to calculate the object's velocity and distance.

2. What is the significance of redshift calculation?

Redshift calculation is significant because it allows scientists to determine the distance and velocity of distant objects, such as galaxies and quasars. This information is crucial for understanding the expansion of the universe and the evolution of galaxies over time.

3. What are the challenges of redshift calculation?

One of the main challenges of redshift calculation is accurately measuring the shift in wavelength. This can be difficult due to the complex nature of light and the potential for errors in observation and measurement. Additionally, the accuracy of redshift calculations can be affected by factors such as the object's motion and the presence of other objects in its vicinity.

4. How does redshift calculation support the Big Bang theory?

Redshift calculation supports the Big Bang theory by providing evidence for the expansion of the universe. According to the theory, all objects in the universe are moving away from each other, causing their light to be redshifted. This is consistent with the observed redshift of distant objects and provides further support for the idea that the universe began with a single, massive explosion.

5. Are there any alternative explanations for redshift aside from the expansion of the universe?

There are some alternative explanations for redshift, such as the tired light theory, which suggests that the wavelength of light is stretched as it travels through space. However, this theory is not widely accepted and is not supported by the majority of scientific evidence. Redshift caused by the expansion of the universe remains the most widely accepted explanation for this phenomenon.