1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Redshift Confusion

1. Dec 9, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I encountred a question that says : Assume that gravitational interactions between galaxies in groups lead to random galaxy velocities of 300 km/s At what distance would the redshift predicted by Hubble's law dominate over that produced by individual velocities? and what is the redshift at that distance?
    I don't understand whats the difference between the 2 redshifts mentioned here, so I am confused on how to approach this

2. Relevant equations
    V= h_0 * D
    where D is the distance and the hubble constant is 2.18*10^-18 s^-1

V /c = Δλ/λ
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried substituting in the numbers and got D= 1.36*10^20 km and v/c=0.001.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2016 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

I think you did it right. There is a smoothly increasing velocity moving away from us faster and faster as the distance increases (the "Hubble flow"), and superimposed on this is a random set of what are called "peculiar velocities". You are asked to determine how far away you need to look before the smooth Hubble velocities begin to dominate. A couple of comments: (1) I would put the distance in units more used by astronomers, like parsecs or Megaparsecs in stead of km, and (2) you gave a velocity, but you were asked for the redshift z.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted