Derive Redshift Parameter Expression using Cosmological Principle

In summary, the cosmological principle can be used to derive an expression for the redshift of light by utilizing the assumptions of homogeneity and isotropy. Using the fact that the wavelength in terms of co-moving coordinates is independent of time, we can derive an expression for the redshift parameter z in terms of the scale factors at emission and observation. This allows us to better understand the relationship between redshift and distance in cosmology.
Verdict

Homework Statement

The cosmological principle can also be used to derive an expression for the redshift of light
(from far away galaxies) in terms of the scale factors at emission and observation. Use the fact
that the wavelength in terms of the co-moving coordinates Δx is independent of time to derive an expression for
943dbf9e018e8e8c13924c01aea4749d.png
in terms of the scale factors a(tobs) and a(tem). The redshift parameter z is the typical parameter used to indicate distance in cosmology.

(I suppose it is obvious, but obs stands for observer and em for emitter)

Homework Equations

943dbf9e018e8e8c13924c01aea4749d.png

The Attempt at a Solution

To be honest, I do not even know where to begin with this. I have looked over http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshift#Mathematical_derivation but that seems far more complicated than anything we have been doing so far. I suppose I have to utilize one of the Friedmann equations, but which one in what way I don't know. I understand that this forum isn't a solve my homework for me forum, so what I'm asking for is a push in the right direction, so I can start working on this.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for bringing up this interesting topic about the cosmological principle and its application in deriving an expression for the redshift of light. I can understand that this may seem overwhelming at first, but let me provide you with some guidance to help you get started.

Firstly, it is important to understand the cosmological principle and its implications. The cosmological principle states that the universe is homogeneous and isotropic on large scales, meaning that it looks the same in all directions and at all points in space. This principle allows us to make certain assumptions and simplifications in our calculations.

Now, let's take a look at the equation for the redshift parameter z:

z = (λobs - λem)/λem

where λobs is the observed wavelength and λem is the emitted wavelength. Using the fact that the wavelength in terms of co-moving coordinates Δx is independent of time, we can rewrite this equation as:

z = (a(tobs)Δxobs - a(tem)Δxem)/a(tem)Δxem

where a(tobs) and a(tem) are the scale factors at the time of observation and emission, respectively, and Δxobs and Δxem are the co-moving coordinates of the observer and emitter, respectively.

Now, we can use the definition of the scale factor, a(t) = R(t)/R0, where R(t) is the scale of the universe at time t and R0 is the present scale of the universe. This allows us to rewrite the equation as:

z = (R(tobs)/R0Δxobs - R(tem)/R0Δxem)/(R(tem)/R0Δxem)

Simplifying this further, we get:

z = (R(tobs)Δxobs/R0Δxem - R(tem)/R0)/R(tem)/R0

Now, we can use the fact that the wavelength in terms of co-moving coordinates is independent of time to rewrite this equation as:

z = (Δxobs/Δxem - 1)/(a(tem)/a(tobs))

This is the desired expression for the redshift parameter z in terms of the scale factors at emission and observation. I hope this helps to guide you in the right direction. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Good luck with your work

1. What is the Cosmological Principle?

The Cosmological Principle is a fundamental concept in cosmology that states that the large-scale structure of the universe is homogeneous and isotropic. This means that on a large scale, the universe looks the same in all directions and at all locations.

2. How is the redshift parameter related to the Cosmological Principle?

The redshift parameter, often denoted by z, is a measure of the amount that light from a distant object has been stretched due to the expansion of the universe. This expansion is a key consequence of the Cosmological Principle, as it suggests that the universe is constantly expanding and objects are moving away from each other.

3. What is the expression for the redshift parameter using the Cosmological Principle?

The expression for the redshift parameter is given by z = (λ_obs - λ_em) / λ_em, where λ_obs is the observed wavelength of light and λ_em is the emitted wavelength. This expression is derived from the fact that the expansion of the universe causes the wavelength of light to stretch as it travels through space.

4. How is the redshift parameter used in cosmology?

The redshift parameter is a crucial tool in cosmology as it allows us to measure the distance to objects in the universe. By using the known relationship between distance and redshift, we can determine the size and age of the universe, as well as the rate of its expansion.

5. Are there any limitations to using the redshift parameter to study the universe?

While the redshift parameter is a powerful tool in cosmology, it does have some limitations. For example, it only provides a measure of the line-of-sight velocity, so it cannot account for any transverse motion of objects. Additionally, it can be affected by local effects such as gravitational lensing, which can distort the observed redshift of an object.