How is the scale factor related to redshift in the FRW model?

• Thread starter ChrisVer
  • Start date
In summary: Therefore, the scale factor is normalized to 1 at the present age of the universe, 13.78 billion years. This allows for the proper distance, d(t), to be related to the scale factor, a(t), through the equation d(t) = a(t)d_o. Similarly, the redshift is related to the scale factor through the equation 1+z(t) = a(t_{0})/a(t).
ChrisVer
Gold Member
I checked on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshift
and I found that the scale factor is related to the red shift, in FRW model, by:
[itex] 1+z(t) = \frac{a(t_{0})}{a(t)}[/itex]
How is that derived?

Also intuitively could you check this reasoning of mine?
Intuitively I can understand this relation, since the scale factor in the past was smaller, then the wavelengths were practically more compressed, so:
[itex] z=\frac{a(t_{0})}{a(t)}-1[/itex] was much bigger than 0 (I don't know why it happens to be 0 for today)
while as time passes, and the scale factor is raising more than a(t0) the redshift is going to get "smaller"...in fact there will be always new "normalization" on the nominator, just to keep it falling "asymptotically" to 0... (the wavelengths are stretched)

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
The scale factor is a function of time which represents the relative expansion of the universe. It relates the proper distance which can change over time.

[tex] d(t)=a(t)d_o[/tex]

d(t) is the proper distance, tdo is the reference time at to, where ato=1 for the present age of the universe 13.78 billion years

these relations may help understand the form you have

[tex]1+Z=\frac{\lambda}{\lambda_o}[/tex]

[tex] a(t)=\frac{1}{1+Z}[/tex] you should be able to derive the equation you have with thisedit forgot to add:particularly since they give
[tex] 1+z=\frac{a_ (now)}{a_ (then)}[/tex] and how its solved from the FLRW metric and it relation to wavelength on that same page you posted,,, grr can't recall how to subscript a word within latex but you get the idea lol

Last edited:
ChrisVer said:
I checked on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshift
and I found that the scale factor is related to the red shift, in FRW model, by:
[itex] 1+z(t) = \frac{a(t_{0})}{a(t)}[/itex]
How is that derived?

The derivation is given in the Wiki entry you linked to under the section 3.2.1.

Additionally, redshift is always calculated by comparing the past to the scale factor today because today is when we are receiving the light. It doesn't make sense to speak about redshift for larger scale factors because we don't receive light from the future.

What is the RedShift-scale factor in the FRW model?

The RedShift-scale factor, also known as the cosmological scale factor, is a dimensionless quantity used to describe the expansion of the universe in the Friedmann-Robertson-Walker (FRW) model. It is denoted by the symbol "a" and represents the relative size of the universe at a given time compared to its size at a reference time.

How is the RedShift-scale factor related to the expansion of the universe?

The RedShift-scale factor is directly related to the expansion of the universe in the FRW model. As the universe expands, the scale factor increases, and as the universe contracts, the scale factor decreases. This expansion of the universe can be observed through the redshift of light from distant galaxies, hence the name "RedShift-scale factor."

What is the significance of the RedShift-scale factor in cosmology?

The RedShift-scale factor is crucial in understanding the evolution and dynamics of the universe in the FRW model. It allows scientists to calculate the age of the universe, determine the expansion rate, and study the overall structure and behavior of the universe over time.

How is the RedShift-scale factor calculated?

The RedShift-scale factor can be calculated using the Friedmann equations in the FRW model. These equations take into account the density and pressure of matter and energy in the universe, as well as the curvature of space-time. The scale factor can also be determined through observations of the redshift of light from distant galaxies.

What implications does the RedShift-scale factor have on the fate of the universe?

The value of the RedShift-scale factor can give insight into the ultimate fate of the universe. If the scale factor continues to increase indefinitely, the universe will continue to expand and eventually reach a state of maximum entropy known as the "heat death." However, if the scale factor reaches a maximum and begins to decrease, the universe may eventually collapse in a "Big Crunch" scenario.