1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reduce System, and indicate for which values a and b the system will have 1,inf &No

1. Sep 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For the following system, indicate for what values of a and b the system will have
    i.) One Solution
    ii.) No Solutions
    iii.) Infinitely Many Solutions

2. Relevant equations
    2x + y - az = 1
    5x + 3y - 2az = 2+2b
    x + y + az = b

3. The attempt at a solution

[ 1 0 -2a | 1-b ]
    [ 0 1 2a | 3b-1 ]
    [ 0 0 a | -b ]

Every time I row reduce the system I end up with a row echelon form that leaves me with no means to decipher a and b. Making me think I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Reduce System, and indicate for which values a and b the system will have 1,inf &

I think you'll need to show use what you got for the row echelon reduction before anyone can comment.

4. Sep 18, 2012 #3
    Re: Reduce System, and indicate for which values a and b the system will have 1,inf &

Yeah I just put it in the original post.

Thank you for the heads up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook