1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reduced Exponential

1. Aug 4, 2007 #1
    "Reduced Exponential"

I am interested in what I call the "reduced exponential"
    Sum_i=1 to infinity x^(i-1) / i!
    where x is a general element in an algebra of interest.

Only when x is invertible is the reduced exponential equivalent to (exp(x)-1) /x .

Obviously we have a "reduced log", the inverse of the reduced exponential.

Does anybody of any work or formulae involving this construct? TIA.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2007 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How do you mean: "if x is invertible"?
    If x is a number the series is always equal to (exp(x) - 1)/x, unless x= 0 in which case it converges to zero. If not, the notation with the division doesn't make sense.

Where did you encounter this function?

4. Aug 4, 2007 #3
    "How do you mean: "if x is invertible"?"

x is an element of a general algebra, not merely a real or complex number but a multivector or matrix or similar such object that can be raised to integer powers and summed and so exponentiated. I've encountered this in quantum mechanics ..

5. Aug 5, 2007 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

OK, it is possible to define the exponential in such cases, but then I would write
    [tex](\exp(x) - 1) x^{-1}[/tex] (or [tex]x^{-1} (\exp(x) - 1)[/tex], though I think there is no difference here) instead of the division.

6. Aug 5, 2007 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Writing [tex]x^{-1}[/tex] instead of dividing by [tex]x[/tex] doesn't help. What if x is not invertible? For example, the matrix
    [tex]x = \bmatrix 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 \endbmatrix[/tex]
    has no inverse but certainly has a "reduced exponential" as defined in the OP: [tex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \frac {x^{i-1}}{i!} = \bmatrix 1 & 1/2 \\ 0 & 1 \endbmatrix[/tex]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2007
  7. Aug 5, 2007 #6

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Doesn't help for what? I was just pointing out a notational inconvenience in
    which still holds, as in the example you gave the sum evaluates to the identity which is not even close to exp(x) - 1 = x.

The question was
    which I must admit, I can't recall having seen or used anywhere.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?