1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reduced mass?

1. Apr 6, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] reduced mass?!

Hi there,

I know the reduced mass is defining with the below formula:

[tex]\frac{1}{\mu}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{m _{1}} + \frac{1}{m_{2}} + ... [/tex]

In Bohr's radius when i want to find the [tex]\mu[/tex] i use the
    m1 = mass of electron
    m2 = mass of poroton

but what if i need to find the reduced mass of a molecule like HCI ?
    do i have to take the masses of all electrons and protons the molecule has or do i have to just take the masses of C & H & I?

I need it to solve the problem 1.5 page 26 from book: Modern Spectroscopy by Hollas

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2008 #2
    ok, i found the answer myself!

yes! i was correct! the reduced mass of molecules are been calculated as what i thought the other day. we just use the mass of the atoms without thinking of the protons and electrons...actually the mass of the atom is the real mass not the reduced mass. The point is for the big molecules like HCl or .... the difference between the reduced mass calculated by taking the real mass of element atoms or the reduced mass of the elem atoms is too small to be considered.

so for example for HCl: (1/ miu) = (1/mass of H) + (1/ mass of Cl)

cooooooooool! ha?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?