Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Reducing and oxidizing agents

1. Oct 26, 2005 #1
    Hi. I have this problem ive been trying for a week and i still cant figure it out:

1. A reacts spontaneously with 1 mol/l BNO3, 1 mol/L D(N03)2 and dilute sulfuric acid. A does not react with 1 mol/L C(N03)2.
    2. B does not react spontaneously with any of the the 1 mol/L solutions aove or with dilute sulfuric acid.
    3. C reacts spontaneously with dilute sulfuric acid and with 1 mol/L solutions of all the other metallic salts.
    4. D reacts spontaneously with 1 mol?L BN03. It does not react with dilute sulfuric acid.

a) Use these observations and arrange the following five reduction half-cell reactions in order, the one with the largest positive reduction potential listed first.

A(2+) + 2e- -> A(s)
    B(+) + e- -> B(s)
    C(2+) + 2e- -> C(s)
    D(2+) + 2e- -> D(s)
    2H(+) + 2e- -> H2(g)

b) Which metal is the best reducing agent?

c) Which ion is the best oxidizing agent?

Ok so i do know that Hydrogen will be zero, but i dont know how the reactivity relates to the reduction potentials? I am so lost for this question! Any ideas would be really appreciated:)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2005 #2
    It would be nice if u can post your opinion or answer for this question....

4. Aug 22, 2006 #3
    a) Use these observations and arrange the following five reduction half-cell reactions in order, the one with the largest positive reduction potential listed first.

A(2+) + 2e- -> A(s)
    B(+) + e- -> B(s)
    C(2+) + 2e- -> C(s)
    D(2+) + 2e- -> D(s)
    2H(+) + 2e- -> H2(g)

b) Which metal is the best reducing agent?

c) Which ion is the best oxidizing agent?

i'm stuck on this and i really would appreciate it if anyone can help me out.. please and thank you

5. May 29, 2007 #4
    Apparently, I'm not the only one having trouble with this question.

Here is my take on it.

B does not react with any of the others so it is the strongest reducing agent (loses electrons)
    A is above B, D and H2 but not C.
    C reacts with everything so it is the weakest reduction agent (strongest oxidating agent).
    D is above B but not H2

Largest positive reduction potential means that it has a higher tendency to gain electrons from new species (ie. oxidize them).

Therefore, the order is: C, A, H2, D, B

B is the best reducing agent

C is the best oxidizing agent

I am just kind of feeling my way through this question. Can someone please confirm whether I am correct or have it backwards? Thank you

Last edited: May 29, 2007
  6. Apr 5, 2009 #5
    stuck on the same problem but i got

a) bdca
    b)a
    c) b

is this right???

can anyone help me

thanks

7. Apr 6, 2009 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Explain how you arrived at your solution.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook