Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reducing high voltage

  1. Jan 13, 2010 #1
    Is there any circuit which can reduce voltage hundred times (100x), i got 5kV DC and my plan is to low that 100x and measure with multimeter. Is that possible?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2010 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    Yes, there is. It is called a voltage divider and uses resistors in series to reduce the voltage.
    Used like this, it is sometimes called an EHT probe.

    You can probably buy them commercially and this may be worth checking.

    Constructing one that could be used safely may be difficult.

    However, there are articles on Google that suggest you could make your own.
    http://images.google.com/images?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&=&q=eht probe&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

  4. Jan 13, 2010 #3
    I will look for this on web
    thx 4 clue
  5. Jan 13, 2010 #4


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

    Don't try to make your own. Merely choosing the right nominal ratio of resistors is not good enough.
  6. Jan 13, 2010 #5


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    I agree with sophie -- it's much safer to just get a high voltage probe for your DVM. This one is from Fluke, but you can also find others:

    http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Cat=2294779&k=PR 28A-ND

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook